Monday, October 16, 2006

Earthquake!!!

So what did you do with your Sunday?

I was in bed when the quake happened. I actually woke up at around 6am but decided it was too early to do some final checks on my fantasy football lineup so I went back to bed to get another 30 minutes of sleep. Then at around 7:10am I felt the tremors as my bed shook and woke me up. Surprisingly, I had a pretty calm reaction and just thought to myself, "Hmm...musta been an earthquake". I thanked the earthquake for waking me up so I could watch the early NFL games.

So I went to my computer to check out NFL.com to see what action I had missed. As I was checking out the first game of stats, the power went out. Aw man! But then it came right back on, and it was like, aw-right! Then it went out again, this time for good. Like the rest of the island, my power was kaput. So I decided to go back to bed to wait it out. Got up at 10:00am to discover that power was still out. Aw come on! Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that since I live in a condo, our water is controlled by a pump which means no power, no water too.

So it's 10:00am, I'm dirty but I'm hungry so I decide to go out to check out the neighborhood. Maybe the McD's was open I thought to myself. I head out my door and discover that the elevator's not operating. Of course, you dummy! Since I'm on the 20th floor, I decided not to venture out cuz the walk back up the stairs was not too appealing. So I caught up on my stack of magazines that haven't been read yet. That took about an hour and after I was done, I went back to take another nap. Talk about lazy...

At around 12 noon, I couldn't stand being home anymore so I decided to go out, despite the elevator not working. Plus, I wanted to listen to the radio to get some updates. I drove around Salt Lake, saw lines at the Safeway as people were waiting to buy water, bread, etc in a darkened store. There was also a ton of people outside of the Korean bbq place. I guess they were able to cook some food up. Then I heard on the radio that Pearl City and Aiea had their power back on so I drove out that way. I was getting hungry at this point so I drove to the Waimalu Safeway to check it out. It was open but the lines were just too long. It was the same at Domino's Pizza and the Chinese restaurant too. So I drove by Daiei to see the action over there. Daiei was open but all the ready to eat stuff like musubi, bento was all gone of course.

Disappointed and hungry, I drove home but decided to make one last check in the Aiea area. Discovered that the 7-11 was open and there wasn't much of a line. Aw-right! I love 7-11! Bought me a bento and some sandwiches, a Gatorade and I was good to go!

Got home and of course the elevator wasn't working so I trekked up the stairs. Surprisingly, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be and amazed even myself by going all the way up without pausing for a breather.

Finally, power came back on at around 5:10pm and water about an hour after. We were one of the lucky ones. The other side of the street still didn't have power as late as 12midnight. So power was back on but no cable and no internet. That really sucked. I felt like I was going nuts, not being able to go online.

The funny thing is, throughout the whole day, the thing that bothered me most was the inability to check the football stats to see how my fantasy players were doing as well as how my "amusement" plays were doing. That was the most frustrating thing, if anything. Tells you where my priorities are, right? LOL

But the good thing is Oahu got off pretty light, despite the power outage. No one was hurt and as I witnessed myself, people were all acting in a calm manner and just dealing with the situation without complaining, arguing, etc. Plus, no one was hurt too. We were all lucky. It could've been a lot worse.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sang Park said...

Glad to hear that you were ok. Hope you had a couple of receivers who lit up the Seahawks/Rams game in your fantasy team..Torry Holt...just sick! As you know, I'm a HUGE Seahawks fan, but gotta give kudos to him for just incredible oneman show!

BTW CNN was broadcasting KITV broadcast for several hours yesterday. I kept on thinking, "other than Mace, I wonder if anyone in Honolulu is even aware that KITV is broadcasting...?"

10/16/2006 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in L.A. when Northridge experienced the same magnitude's as yesterday's earthquake. Comparing the two, yesterday's felt longer but not as violent, more of a slower rumble. AND L.A. never ran out of power like we did. I know HECO had to get the grids back up and had to do so methodically but c'mon that's too long. Our's didn't go back on until midnight.

I organized my closet and makeup table, took Poloroid pictures of my shoes and handbags to stick on the outside of the boxes and gave my dog a new hair cut. Now she looks like a poodle. She wasn't happy but I was so bored.
Now to go marketing because I don't trust that anything in neng jang go is safe to eat. Would ko choo jang and ssam jang be ok after 17 hours?

10/16/2006 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was up when the quake hit. I on sitting on the bed getting ready to watch some football. All of a sudden I fell the bed shaking. It got stronger and stronger. I had a korean drama dvd box set fall off a shelf as well as a package of stuff on something else. I never been in a earthquake before. As the quake was going on the birds downstaris were going crazy. We have 8 of them The ones affectd the most were the African Grey and the Cockatoo. In fact 4 hours after the quake the Cockatoo was still in the same place and shaking. I could not get him to respond to anything.

My brother called from Maui about the same time the shaking stopped and said it was terrible where he was. A lot of stuff fell of shelves. He said it was worst than a 7.4 one when he was living in Whittier, California years back. He got cut off from us as soon as the power went out.

We just sat around and listen to KSSK on a transitor radio. No cell phone service. The only phone that worked was a non wireless one. My aunty from California called us about 30 minutes after the quake hit. She heard about it on the news.

Our power came on at 2pm. But we did not get cable or internet service until 5pm the next day. And that was after a lot of bitching on my part with Oceanic. The whole street in my area was out. They had to send 3 trucks out here to see what the problem was. They told us we were not getting any power from them. The cable boxes would not even display the time. No solid cable light either.

10/18/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.02
ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, tory burch outlet, nike air max, michael kors, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, ugg boots, replica watches, uggs on sale, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, prada handbags, louboutin shoes, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, ugg boots, ugg boots, burberry, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, burberry outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, nike outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, longchamp, gucci outlet, christian louboutin outlet, louis vuitton outlet

2/23/2016 5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, vans pas cher, oakley pas cher, true religion outlet, air force, nike free run uk, true religion jeans, nike air max, nike free, sac guess, converse pas cher, mulberry, coach outlet, nike roshe run, timberland, nike roshe, north face, tn pas cher, burberry, lacoste pas cher, coach purses, north face, michael kors, longchamp, hollister pas cher, new balance pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike blazer, hermes, true religion jeans, air max, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, abercrombie and fitch, vanessa bruno, air jordan pas cher, hogan, sac longchamp, michael kors, hollister, replica handbags, true religion jeans, nike huarache, ray ban uk, nike trainers, nike air max

2/23/2016 5:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

links of london, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora charms, toms shoes, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, canada goose, pandora jewelry, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, converse outlet, sac louis vuitton pas cher, swarovski crystal, canada goose, canada goose, pandora jewelry, replica watches, moncler, hollister, barbour, ugg boots uk, karen millen, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, doudoune canada goose, barbour jackets, doke gabbana outlet, moncler, canada goose, supra shoes, pandora charms, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, swarovski, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, lancel, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada
ninest123 16.02

2/23/2016 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home