Saturday, August 09, 2008

Korea's First Gold Medal!

Gotta love that TV channel dedicated to Korean coverage of the Olympics (digital channel 269). The first day was pretty junk as it just kept replaying the same soccer games over and over again but they've finally come around. Thanks to that channel, I was able to watch a couple of Koreans win medals.

Choi Min Ho was a beast in winning the gold medal in the 60kg weight division in men's judo. He won all of his matches by "ippon" which is similar to winning by a pin in wrestling and from what I understand, is very difficult to do and quite rare. To win all of his matches in such manner is quite extraordinairy. He was in tears after his victory and I have to admit I welled up a bit as they played the Korean national anthem during the medal ceremony. A nice reward for Choi after a disappointing bronze medal in Athens.

Then Korea won the silver in a shooting event. Things I would never be able to see if not for the Korean Olympics channel. I think it's still NBC coverage but stuff not shown on the available channels. Probably broadcasts for internet.

South Korea is aiming for 10 gold medals and a top 10 overall finish in these Olympics. After 2 medals on the first day, they're off to a great start.

2 Comments:

Blogger tabasco man said...

Wow, all by ippon? That is amazing.

8/10/2008 8:25 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that it was the first time it ever happened in the Olympics.

8/11/2008 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home