Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A United Korea in the Olympics?

The 2 Koreas (South and North) are talking about possibly uniting their teams in future Olympics. I'm not sure about this. I'm not a Korean citizen so I don't have the same point of view on reunification as they might but personally, I would have to say that I am presently against this.

As an American, I see the North as a Communist dictatorship that does all it can to use nuclear scare tactics on the rest of the world while gladly accepting and sometimes demanding monetary and food donations. And where do all of those donations go? To the army? From what I read and hear, the general population is still living in poverty while the military is treated very well.

Maybe I am being ignorant here. Maybe someone more familiar with the issue can educate me on the South-North relations and what they are really like. I will more than welcome any education on the topic.

Until then, I would like to see the South field its own Olympic teams. Marching together during the ceremonies is tolerable though, I guess. And it's not even about the South having way better athletes (how many medals has the North won recently?). It's more of a political stance than anything.

Joongang Article

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as the teams they send to the LL World Series are from single districts, and definitely not transnational (and not consisting of 12 going on 16 ace pitchers) that's fine by me.

I don't really care what country any athlete is from. And what's the point in counting medals from each country? If they're going to do that, I think it's grossly unfair not to consider each country's subarctic square mileage, post-pubescent population, GNP, and factor them into a weighted score.

4/14/2006 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home