Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Joining the Hi-Tech DVR World Finally!

I finally got around to joining the hi-tech world of DVR. I've been meaning to do this for a while but was waiting for a system that would record in HD. So I called Oceanic last week to check out their equipment cuz I think I remember reading somewhere that the popular Tivo didn't have HD recording capability yet or that it was super expensive. Oceanic said they indeed had HD-DVR and I was stoked! This is the box they gave me - The Explorer 8300HD Digital Video Recorder.

So I went down to Ala Moana Sears to exchange my current box for the HD-DVR one. When I got there, it was insanity. There were literally approximately 60-70 people there waiting. I pulled my number and got J07. The current number being served was 82. So I was thinking, not bad...just another 25 numbers then it's my turn. As the counter people started yelling out 01, 02, 03, etc. I noticed that they were saying "I-01", "I-02", "I-03". And I had J-07! So instead of 25 in front of me, there were 125! Crazy! But since I was already there and had my box in my hand, I didn't want to come back so I decided to wait it out, playing soccer on my cell phone. About 50 minutes later, my number finally gets called and I exchange my box. Apparently, a lot of people were there because the earthquake messed up their systems. If I had just went last week, I would've had less than a 10 minute wait. Oh well.

So I get home and install the box and hook it up to my TV. Right away, I test out the pause, rewind, FF capabilities. Cool! Then I set it to record a couple of HD programs like Sportscenter (which looks awesome in HD, btw) overnight as I slept. I woke up this morning and played it back. Worked like a charm! Another nice thing about getting a new box is that you get all the pay channels for free for a few days. So I programmed my box this morning to record a few movies on HDHBO and HDSHO like Ocean's Twelve and The Longest Yard. Might as well get em while they're free, right? Ooh yeah, one more thing...I can use PIP (picture in picture) now! Aw-right! The next step for me now is to upgrade my connection to my TV to HDMI. That should make a big difference. Anyone have any suggestions on HDMI cable? Splurge the big bucks for name brands or are generic just the same?

Anyways, I'm totally in love with this new box. It's gonna cost me $9.95 additional per month but it's so worth it. Now I can pre-program it to record all of my favorite shows and I removed my VCR which I now don't need. Plus, I get the first month free for signing up. Here are the shows I plan on recording now that I have this DVR. These include shows that I don't normally watch cuz of lack of time or not being home but always meant to watch and now can at my convenience:

Amazing Race, Heroes, Lost, Survivor, Saturday Night Live, MadTV

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what took you so long haha.
I was on the line with Oceanic last night for 2 hours. My DVR box blew out and I didn't want to stand in line to be told they ran out. She told me they were fully stocked but to go out to Hawaii Kai instead. Boxes were stacked up high with people coming in and out to exchange.
Remember you can only record 2 at a time and you the channel you're watching has to be one of them.

10/18/2006 1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good place to buy Hdmi, Dvi, Component, or any other type of cables is from MonoPrice.com.

10/18/2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger Gee Why said...

Myong, you mind giving more details about HD through Oceanic? How many HD stations are available? What's the monthly bill like?

Do you know if you can transfer the recorded shows to a computer?

Thanks!

10/18/2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

The following channels are available on HD through Oceanic:

HDKITV (ABC)
HDKHNL (NBC)
HDDISC (Discovery)
HDNET (Various HD Programming)
HDMOV (Various movies, nothing great though)
INHD (Various HD Programming)
INHD2 (Ditto)
HDESPN (ESPN)
HDTNT (TNT)
HDUNI (Various HD Programming)

I really wish they had HDCBS and HDFOX as well but as you may have read in the papers, there's a dispute between Oceanic and those stations over money.

As for the monthly bill, I'm not positive. My building comes with automatic basic cable. We just pay the difference for the upgrade to Oceanic's HD Digital service. Add my Road Runner cost to that, and the monthly bill is around $64. Now that I've got the HDDVR, the monthly bill should be around $74. How much is Road Runner a month? $40? So if you take away that amount, that's about how much extra you'd pay over basic cable.

But if you watch TV, especially sports, it's so worth it.

Not sure how to transfer programs from the DVR to a computer but I know there's a way. In fact, I was just browsing through my cable box manual tonight and thought I saw a diagram to hook it up to a hard drive.

10/19/2006 12:15 AM  
Blogger Gee Why said...

Thanks for the info! The number of channels still seems low. I guess the popular ones are covered though. So you also get all the other Oceanic channels in non-HD? If so, in digital, not analog cable?

I'm assuming that every show on the HD channels are in HD right?

I guess the price isn't too bad. So my Oceanic bill for purely "entertainment purposes" (TV and Internet) would be over $100 per month!

10/19/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

For the most part, most shows on the HD channels are in HD. Some shows on ABC, NBC, ESPN, TNT, however are not.

For example, Deal or No Deal on NBC is not in HD. But I believe most of the dramas and sitcoms are in HD. I think it's just the reality shows that are not. However, I did see that the show you watch Dancing with the Stars was in HD last night.

ON HDTNT, the dramas in HD don't look that great cuz they're mostly re-runs like Law and Order and stuff like that. And the movies don't look that great either. I don't think these are true HD broadcasts. But the sporting events like NBA basketball look great.

10/19/2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Oh, and I forgot to add...if you subscribe to HBO or Showtime, there are HDHBO and HDSHO channels as well.

10/19/2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Gee Why said...

Thanks again for the insider's view. I think I'll hold off for some time until I'm forced to go HD.

I'll just hope WW gets HD and invites us over!

10/19/2006 11:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

links of london, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora charms, toms shoes, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, canada goose, pandora jewelry, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, converse outlet, sac louis vuitton pas cher, swarovski crystal, canada goose, canada goose, pandora jewelry, replica watches, moncler, hollister, barbour, ugg boots uk, karen millen, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, doudoune canada goose, barbour jackets, doke gabbana outlet, moncler, canada goose, supra shoes, pandora charms, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, swarovski, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, lancel, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada
ninest123 16.02

2/23/2016 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home