Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Kims of Comedy

This is a new DVD featuring 4 Asian American stand up comedians. I ordered this when it first became available like 3 weeks ago and it took 2 weeks for Circuit City to get it to me! What the hell!

Anyways....Popped it in and watched it. As mentioned above, it's a comedy show featuring 4 Asian American stand up comedians. Actually, all 4 are Korean Americans (well, one is hapa). Funnily, none of them are named "Kim" but I guess they wanted to play with the well known title of "Kings of Comedy".

Bobby Lee, the most recognizable one (from MADTV) is the host as well as the opening act. That guys is just so outrageous and out there that he's hilarious. I love this guy. Great stuff.

The 2nd act was Kevin Shea. His "thing" was to do his act like he was half drunk. I don't know if he was acting or if it was real, but he was damn funny doing it! I loved his act. Plus, he swears a lot. That's usually a plus in my book!

3rd was hapa comedian Steve Byrne. I swear I didn't laugh once in his entire set. Was pretty sad stuff. He tries to do the physical comedy bit but can't pull it off. To be honest, he was boring.

Last was Ken Jeong, a doctor in his day job. He was funny, especially when ragging on other races like Vietnamese and Filipinos. The medical humor wasn't that effective and his folk rap song felt kind of cliched but he had some good moments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home