Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Summer Movie Preview

I always look forward to the Summer Movie Season because it usually has everything I'm looking for in a movie. Big stars, big action, and big laughs. Yeah, the award season movies have their qualities too, but enough of Brokeback Mountain and bring on the BadAss Movies! These are the ones that are of interest to me...

May 5:

Mission:Impossible 3 - Early buzz on this film is that it's the best of the three. It'll be interesting to see what first time feature film director JJ Abrams (Lost, Alias) brings to the table.

May 12:
Poseidon - A remake of the 1972 disaster film The Poseidon Adventure. Looks like Titanic without the sappy love story and that's cool with me. Looks like a fun flick and director Wolfgang Peterson is a veteran of films such as Troy, Air Force One, The Perfect Storm, and Das Boot.

May 19:
The Da Vinci Code - We've all read the book and now it's time to see the movie. With Ron Howard and Tom Hanks behind it, it'll no doubt be a blockbuster.

May 26:
X-Men: The Last Stand - The film I'm most looking forward to seeing this summer. Even though director Bryan Singer is gone, Brett Ratner steps in and as a fan of his Rush Hour movies as well as Red Dragon, I'm hoping for the best. Plus, you got Beast, Phoenix, Angel, and I'm there!

June 16:
Nacho Libre - From the director of Napolean Dynamite. Starring Jack Black, this film just looks so silly that it's bound to be fun.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift - I actually kinda enjoyed the first 2 films for what they were but a 3rd isn't really necessary. However, up and coming Asian American director Justin Lin (A Better Tomorrow) is behind this one so I'll take a look-see.

The Lake House - See Here

June 30:
Superman Returns - The return of the Man of Steel. Not a "must see" for me, but pretty close. Early trailers don't really excite me so far.

July 21:
Lady in the Water - I have no idea what this one is about and I don't care. It's M. Night Shyamalan, one of my favorite story tellers. Yeah, I feel he's more of a story teller than a movie director. Although he's been hit and miss, his hits are very solid.

July 28:
Miami Vice - Was kind of a fan of the TV series, but the fact that Michael Mann (Heat, Collateral) is directing this really draws me in. They're not gonna do the pastel suit thing and it's gonna be a more gritty version of Mann's 80s TV show. But I also heard they're not gonna bring back Jan Hammer's awesome theme song. Why not!!!

August 18:
Snakes on a Plane - This film has been getting tons of internet buzz due to its subject and straightforward title. What's the film about! Snakes on a plane! I also hear that they're gonna make it Rated R so they can show more gore and stuff. Yes!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. Saw that M:I III this weekend. Not bad, not bad, but, I still think II is the best of 'em. These are a great trilogy of films, and I hope the series continues, even though it might not [spoilers ahead]

include Ethan Hunt (and, thus, the Cruise, too) is the impression I think we were supposed to get. Actually, would be pretty neat if the baton is passed on to an up-and-coming actor.

I dunno, the ads – even though they DID imply he was a boss-type – made it seem like Fishburne was gonna' bust down some doors. I thought THAT was who was gonna' get the Cruise outta' that situation shown in the first part. Still, as usual, great performance by Larry Fishburne, and, was neat to see the chemistry 'tween him and the Cruise.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s character, Owen Davian, was pretty neat. Even though never get to see the villain's lair, which is always exciting and cool (I don’t watch Alias, which is also created by J.J. Abrams, thei director of this film; do they not show the villain’s lair there either?), and, as an arms dealer, never got to see him handling or demonstrating some spooky death ray or something, THE BEST thing about Davian is that he doesn’t explain much as a villain – yeah, no, speech about a genocidal weapon he’s just created, no defuse button, etc.; I hope that was deliberate, and I hope that’s what we begin to see in villains.

I liked it. Go see it.

5/08/2006 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home