Friday, July 14, 2006

Nancy Lopez - Dunce!

I used to respect Nancy Lopez. She's an LPGA Hall of Famer and she was in her prime when I first started watching golf in the 80s.

But things she said on Sportscenter last night really bothered me. They were interviewing her and asking her what she thought of Michelle Wie competing on the PGA Tour. Nancy basically said that she didn't agree with it and that Michelle should concentrate on the LPGA Tour. Lopez is not alone in this thinking as many others have expressed this same thought.

Helloooooo? Michelle is not eligible to be a LPGA member right now because she is too young (minimum age is 18 years old) so she is only allowed to play in 8 tournaments a year as a non-exempt member. She's going to play in the maximum alloted number of tournaments this year. What more can she do? Do these naysayers really expect her to just stay home all the other weeks of the year? I really don't get it. What more can she do for the LPGA? She already brings in record crowds, revenue, and TV ratings and she really has no obligation to the tour as she isn't even a member. So as long as she plays in her max 8 tourneys, what's wrong with her pursuing other goals in the other 44 weeks of the year?

Just because you're not good enough or interesting enough to do what Michelle's doing, don't knock her for having some ambition. Sure, she's not doing very well this week at the John Deere but at least she's giving it a shot, right? More importantly, the general public WANTS her to give it a shot. Are there any other woman golfers that would make people want to drive 4 hours to see in person or tune into the John Deere Classic? I don't think so.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, right now I'm just hoping she gets better, with this recent development at the John Deere.

I can't imagine what kind of stress and running around ragged, and all that Wie must be feeling. I can relate though, from a time in my own life: late junior term at UH, doing an internship, working out REAL hard, pumpin' that iron, doing them cardio, etc. I was in between one of these daily events, on the way to my car, and, without warning, alla sudden, nausea, then, BAM! Blacked OUT. Must've only been a few minutes 'cause I woke up alla sudden, found me 1/2 sitting on the asphalt, the backpack I was carrying at the time very much looking like it slammed into the ground. That day I learned an important lesson -- always take time out to rest.

Back on topic . . . I wonder if Ms. Jenny on the block managed to see this; and I'm wondering how she's reacting at the unfortunate development.

7/14/2006 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CORRECTION -- I shouldn't have mentioned "Ms. Jenny on the block," cause this hea's about NANCY Lopez's comments, eh? I KNEW something was amiss. Not Jennifer Lopez, whoops.

7/14/2006 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home