Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Survivor: Race Wars?

I haven't watched the TV reality show Survivor since the All Stars edition. I've enjoyed this show in the past, but recently I've found it too repetitive to find interesting. They pretty much do the same things every season. Also, while not a huge reason for my disinterest, the show really wasn't too racially diverse in its casting. But I figured that was because it was mostly white people who applied for these shows anyway.

Well lo and behold! This season's Survivor will feature 4 teams of 5 members each...divided by race! That's right! You'll have a white team, a black team, a Latino team, and an Asian team! Needless to say, I was kind of shocked when I saw this news. I mean, with racial sensitivity in the US at such a high point and with political correctness ruling all media, to explicitly pit one race against another in a TV show is quite daring, to say the least.

The way Mark Burnett explains it, he's deciding to address the many complaints about his show regarding lack of minorities head on by featuring the most racially diverse TV cast and pitting them against each other. A very bold and risky decision.

And let's face it. After so many years, Survivor definitely needed a makeover to keep viewers. At least for me, it'll get me watching so Burnett has already succeeded.

This could be a very important footnote in TV history and I'm impressed with the decision. Now let's see if it works. Will race become an issue during the show and will stereotypes come forward? We'll see!

Link to article: Survivor Article

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. This is one of those times I'm really glad I'm me -- I just can't STAND reality shows. The networks can probably thank someone like me for being few and far between, it seems. I'm offended by the whole IDEA of the reality show, period, so, anything "they" do is just more pile on, if you ask me. I watched the tail end of the recently completed "Idol" 'cause someone told me Taylor Hicks was too good for that show . . . and that person was right. The guy can sing and I tuned in and the way Idols go, I woulda' probably heard him at some point on the rajio. And I'm buying his album.

But, that's the LAST time I make an exception for these so-called "reality shows." They just don't appeal to me, so they can do what they want.

And I really wonder what it's all gonna be like once this monster just gets totally out of control (i.e., see Robocop ("I'd buy that for a dollar"), see Steve Jackson's Car Wars, see Koushun Takami's novel Battle Royale), heh.

8/23/2006 4:38 PM  
Blogger Sang Park said...

2 Koreans, 2 Filipinos, and a Vietnamese guy named Cao Boi (pronounced cowboy...no joke!)...sweet! I think I'll just might watch at least the season premiere.

8/23/2006 7:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, vans pas cher, oakley pas cher, true religion outlet, air force, nike free run uk, true religion jeans, nike air max, nike free, sac guess, converse pas cher, mulberry, coach outlet, nike roshe run, timberland, nike roshe, north face, tn pas cher, burberry, lacoste pas cher, coach purses, north face, michael kors, longchamp, hollister pas cher, new balance pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike blazer, hermes, true religion jeans, air max, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, abercrombie and fitch, vanessa bruno, air jordan pas cher, hogan, sac longchamp, michael kors, hollister, replica handbags, true religion jeans, nike huarache, ray ban uk, nike trainers, nike air max

2/23/2016 7:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

links of london, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora charms, toms shoes, canada goose uk, louis vuitton, canada goose, pandora jewelry, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, converse outlet, sac louis vuitton pas cher, swarovski crystal, canada goose, canada goose, pandora jewelry, replica watches, moncler, hollister, barbour, ugg boots uk, karen millen, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, wedding dresses, doudoune canada goose, barbour jackets, doke gabbana outlet, moncler, canada goose, supra shoes, pandora charms, bottes ugg, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, swarovski, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, lancel, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, ugg,uggs,uggs canada
ninest123 16.02

2/23/2016 7:36 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

huarache shoes
adidas gazelle
pg 1
air max 2019
curry 6
jordan shoes
custom baseball jerseys
nmd
kyrie irving shoes
michael kors outlet online

7/01/2019 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home