Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Beard Papa's Grand Opening

This past weekend, Papa Beard's and The Coffee Bean had their grand openings in Salt Lake Shopping Center which is about a 5 minute walk from where I live.

I've read about the Beard Papa's cream puffs in the paper in the past and have seen the lines at Shirokiya so I was curious if they were really that good since I've heard that people waited up to 2 hours in line at Shirokiya for these sweet goodies.

I entered the store and there were about 5 people in line.
I discovered that the pastry parts of it are already pre-baked and they just stuff the pastries with the appropriate cream filling when you make your order. Those 2 metallic cylinders contain the cream and they puncture the pastry and squeeze the cream in.

The vanilla flavor is always available and the "premium" flavor changes every week. This week, the "premium" flavor was strawberry. Future offerings will be chocolate, green tea, and caramel. The vanilla cream puff is $1.50 each or $8.50 for a half dozen. The premium puff is $1.65 each or $9.50 for a half dozen.

Okay, so how did they taste? I have to say that they were very good! Not too overly sweet and the pastry part was light and flaky like how I was hoping. And they didn't skimp on the cream fillings. I did like the vanilla better than the strawberry however. The green tea should be interesting....

But at that price, I probably won't be visiting the store too often. I'll probably be buying it more as a gift for others rather than to eat at home myself.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never tried this pastry on one of many visits to Nihon (probably has to do with how there are a lot of other Japanese foods that was in line before "cream puff" on my list o' stuff to eat).

Even when they finally "arrived to the islands" I was skeptical. So many great cream-filled pastries around. Not just here, too, but, I've tried my share of pastries on the mainland.

So, the way it went for me was someone brought a bunch to a potluck and I eventually tried. And you know? I didn't KNOW what I was missing. Perfect harmony, these pastries. Crunch and soft in the right places regarding the crust. And, yes, that creamy filling ain't too sweet.

I always can't wait for my next one.

But . . . that name . . . hmmmm . . .

8/15/2006 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best part is that they call this stuff "shoe cream." Yum!

BTW, you might consider the shells "prebaked" only when there's no line. Otherwise, I found that watching the oven timer, counting the people in front of you, the order limit, the shells per pan, doing the division, then the "cool off" timer, is agonizing. And this was at the Food Pantry Waikiki location after the initial bomb dropped on Shirokiya.

I generally avoid lines. I was very disappointed when my daughter took a lick after dinner and walked away. Maybe not sugary enough. I like them for their sublime textures and sweetness, but haven't gone back since.

Orbs

8/15/2006 7:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, vans pas cher, oakley pas cher, true religion outlet, air force, nike free run uk, true religion jeans, nike air max, nike free, sac guess, converse pas cher, mulberry, coach outlet, nike roshe run, timberland, nike roshe, north face, tn pas cher, burberry, lacoste pas cher, coach purses, north face, michael kors, longchamp, hollister pas cher, new balance pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike blazer, hermes, true religion jeans, air max, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, louboutin pas cher, nike air max, lululemon, abercrombie and fitch, vanessa bruno, air jordan pas cher, hogan, sac longchamp, michael kors, hollister, replica handbags, true religion jeans, nike huarache, ray ban uk, nike trainers, nike air max

2/23/2016 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home