Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Typical Timmy?

I'm not a Timmy Chang fan in any way. Even if he has all the NCAA records, I don't think he's even in the Top 5 of UH quarterbacks. But still, since he's a local boy and a UH grad of course I'm cheering for him to do well in the NFL.

Well, Timmy got his first ever taste of NFL action this past Sunday when his Philadelphia Eagles played the Oakland Raiders in the NFL Hall of Fame Game. Timmy entered the game at the beginning of the 4th quarter and went 9-17 for 84 yards and 1 INT. So how did he look?

Honestly, I'd grade his performance a C-. He was able to garner a few first downs but he didn't really look sharp. Of course it didn't help that his RB fumbled the ball away on 2 drives and that he was probably playing with a 2nd and 3rd string supporting cast. But as is typical with Timmy, his throws did not look accurate at all. Any throw other than a dump off (which were most of his throws) looked really shaky. He had one WR wide open in the middle of the field and threw it behind him so the receiver had to stop and dive backwards to make the catch for a small gain when it could've been a 20 yard gain if he had caught it on the run. And Timmy has always had trouble throwing the sideline out patterns and that showed too. And as Timmy threw an INT on the Eagles's last drive on another badly thrown sideline pass, I uttered to myself..."Typical Timmy".

I also didn't care for Timmy's onfield behavior. He had his heada down after each play and not because he was studying a cheat sheet on his wrist as I had originally thought. He just looked like he was lacking confidence out there. Where's the fire?

But to his credit, he did throw a pretty nice ball downfield but the WR short handed the catch cuz he was afraid of the hit and he dropped the ball.

In any case, I hope he does well and can improve on this performance. I thought I heard Al Michaels say something like Koy Detmer is likely not to be on the roster when the season starts so does that mean that Timmy is in as the #3? Let's see!

3 Comments:

Blogger tabasco man said...

Yeah I'm sure a lot of people including myself predicted that he would throw an INT on the last drive. He did better than Koy though. Hopefully he will make the team.

Go Raiders!

8/08/2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Actually, I think he did better than Garcia too!

8/08/2006 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, hasn't Koy been there a while now? Well, I'll let you fill in the rest.

He did OK, you know? He did OK.
And, you know what? I have no doubt coaches create situations or allow for situations to happen in pre-season play (yes, that's what this was, right?) to, for lack of a better phrase, "see what'll happen if . . ."

It's a good, gradual start. I say give 'em a chance at the pro' level the way a lot of other Hawaii-based athletes are given the same.

8/10/2006 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home