Sunday, May 11, 2008

Weekend in Oakland and Berkeley

Spent the weekend in the East Bay cuz I had to attend a LEED class on Saturday. My itinerary really sucked though. Scheduled to land in Oakland at 9:30pm Friday night, class from 9-5 on Saturday, and then fly out of Oakland at 9:00am Sunday morning. Virtually no free time!

So on Friday night, landed a little late and by the time I took the cab to the Marriott in Downtown Oakland it was 11:15pm! So I ordered room service for the first time in my life. Had a pepporoni and mushroom pizza...not bad! Also, let me take this opportunity to praise the Oakland City Center Marriott Hotel. They rock!

First of all, I loved the huge king sized bed. It was so comfy! Then, when I came back from my class the following day I was very impressed to find that the maid had organized all of my various toiletries very neatly on a small towel on the bathroom counter. Before she had done that they were strewn all over the place. And then to top it off, in order to make my 9:00am flight out of Oakland Sunday morning I wanted to be at the airport by 6am which meant I had to leave the hotel by 5:30am. I asked them to call a cab for me but after 15 minutes they told me that they weren't getting a response from the cab company and then offered to drive me to the airport! So I got a personal ride to the airport from one of their employees. How's that for service? Excellent! The only negatives to the hotel was that they had really thin walls so you could hear a lot of noises from the adjacent rooms. But overall, I loved my stay there.

Check out that wonderful bed!
After my class ended on Saturday I decided to make a little trek to my old stomping grounds in Berkeley. A lot had changed, and yet a lot had remained the same. The old staples like Blondie's Pizza, Amoeba Music, and Cafe Intermezzo were reassuringly still there. And Berkeley had always offered a wide variety of ethnic cuisine to choose from even when I attended 15 years ago but the selection seemed even more diverse now. In my little jaunt around the Telegraph Avenue area, I spotted restaurants serving Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Greek, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, cheesesteaks, pizza, burgers, Italian....you name it! They were all there.

Such a Berkeley sign...I wonder what makes the food "intelligent"?
Outside Rasputin's CD store
Made many a late night stop here for a hot dog. They're the best!
Sign says "Best Burrito In Town". This place was around when I was there but I'd always gone to the much better La Zona Rosa instead when I was in the mood for a burrito. But since La Zona Rosa was not around anymore, decided to grab a bite here since I love a good burrito. Have to say...burrito was pretty damn good...Cheap and big...Just like me! LOL
Sorry I couldn't take more pics but I forgot to charge my dica before the trip and my battery died on me. =(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home