Sunday, May 04, 2008

Kruzin in Kailua...

Spent all day in Kailua yesterday. Started off with breakfast at Boots and Kimo's, then a hike at Kaiwa Ridge, and then topped it off with a visit to Lanikai Beach. Weather was awesome and it was a great day!

I had heard of Boots and Kimo's but had never gone there till yesterday. After reading internet reviews, I was anticipating a long wait, especially on a Saturday morning but I only had to wait 5 minutes before getting a table.

Their macadamia nut pancakes are legendary so my expectations were high since I'm a big pancake fan and boy....they did not disappoint! The mac sauce on the pancakes was a work of art. Believe me, there was none of that sauce left over when all was said and done. Check out those pancakes! So yummy!
What also impressed me was the quality of their pork links and their ability to cook my eggs exactly how I like them. I always order my eggs "over medium" but not too many places can get it just right. Boots and Kimo's did and I love them for it. The only negative of the meal was that the hash browns were not hot when served.
Overall, I loved my breakfat at Boots and Kimo's and would definitely go back.

After the hearty breakfast, went for a hike at Kaiwa Ridge (aka Lanikai Pillbox Trail). There are two old pillboxes along the trail where you can rest and check out the views, thus the nickname for the trail. The entrance to this trail is directly across from the Mid Pacific Country Club. The hike is short and sweet but offers killer views of the Lanikai area.

Beginning of the trail. This trail is dry and dusty so it can get a bit slippery, especially when coming down.
Some steep areas...
Still climbing to the first pillbox...
The 1st pillbox
View of Mid Pacific golf course from the 2nd pillbox
What a beautiful day!
Check out the amazing view of the coastline...
Da uddah side...you can see the 1st pillbox towards the right
View back down the trail. See the Mid-Pac parking lot towards the left? That's where this trail started.
Hiking Kaiwa Ridge was short but fun. You can get to the first pillbox within 20-30 minutes and then it's another 3-5 minutes to the 2nd pillbox. There are some short steep sections but overall a fairly easy hike. I definitely recommend it!

After the hike, went down to Lanikai Beach. Believe it or not, I have lived on this island for all of my life (except for college) and I don't think I have ever set foot on Lanikai Beach. Sure, I've been to Kailua Beach tons of times, but never Lanikai. Man, I've been missing out! This beach is beautiful!

Ain't it pretty?
Da uddah side...
View of the pillboxes from the beach
After a hot and active day, nothing beats one ono shave ice!
Was fun hanging out in Kailua for the day and will have to go back to repeat some time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home