Monday, January 05, 2009

Breakfast at Cream Pot

Cream Pot is a breakfast/brunch eatery in the Hawaii Monarch Hotel. I've read several positive reviews on this place so was kind of curious to check it out and finally got that opportunity when I had breakfast there yesterday with a friend.

The atmosphere is quite charming and cute, reminding you of a Italian or French country style inn.

There are 2 menus, one with words and one with pictures. Very handy!
Had to try the dark chocolate cold drink. Very sweet and refreshing. Tasted like an upgraded chocolate milk. But at $4.50 not sure if I'd order it again.
I ordered the "classic" omelette. It had pieces of bacon, potato, mushrooms, and other goodies in it. The eggs were really creamy and well cooked but I thought the innards were a little lacking. I thought the ingredients were a little too finely chopped and I had a hard time tasting all their goodness. Also, the dish normally comes with rice but they had run out by the time we got there so they served me these pieces of bread instead which I'd prefer to rice anyway.
I ordered my omelette as a "set" which means it came with a beverage and a crepe. I selected the banana crepe and it was very very good. Light, moist, and not soggy at all. The caramel cream that accompanied the crepe was amazing. The set cost $16.
My friend ordered the banana Belgian waffles ($9.25) and these were fantastic. Notice the caramel sauce in the dipping cup. The same sauce as for the crepe. We asked if the restaurant would sell the caramel sauce since it was that good. They said that they were actually considering it for the future. The whipped cream you see on top of the waffles was also very good. I'm not normally a whipped cream fan but this cream was delicious. Nothing like the canned stuff.
We also ordered a side of hash browns ($3.50). This was just okay. Interestingly, it came with a dollop of sour cream on top. I wish it had been crispier.
The food overall was very good, if a little on the sweet side, but what do you expect from a restaurant called the Cream Pot and whose menu features crepes, waffles, and omelettes? There were a few negatives however. Parking is only partially validated and since we were there for a while, it ended up costing $4. And the reason why we were there for a while is that the food does take a while to come out. For the two of us it wasn't really a problem since we were just talking story and enjoying a leisurely morning so the delay in getting our food wasn't a big deal. But if you're in a hurry, this is not the place to go.

So check out Cream Pot if you're looking for a quaint and charming breakfast spot or if you're trying to impress a date. The breakfast cost about $45 with parking and tip included so it can get pretty pricey. But if you lay off the specialty beverages and just stick to 2 entrees, you can probably dine for about $30, all inclusive which is around about what you'd pay if went to a similar place such as IHOP. Plus, I don't believe they take credit cards so make sure to bring cash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home