Tuesday, March 10, 2009

SNL Skit - Funny Or Not?

I saw an article in the news that Lt. Governor Duke Aiona was angry at an SNL skit depicting Hawaiian locals at a Kauai hotel lounge. Apparently he felt that the skit was offensive and is planning to write letters of protest to SNL and to Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock).

So I watched the video on hulu to see what all the hubbub was about. You know what?.....I thought it was pretty damn funny. I thought it did pretty well in exposing the facade of the "happy locals" and showed that workers in the tourist industry are real people with real situations and not just some paid servants there to entertain tourists with clouded images of Hawaii. I mean....I don't think the skit was meant to go that deep but overall, I think the point of the skit was well delivered.

Humor is always a touchy issue, especially when stereotypes are the victims of said humor. But like I always say...it's all about the intent of the humor. If it's for the easy cheap laugh, then no. If it's conveying a social commentary, I'm all for it, especially if done well.

Dukie and some HTA officials might be going overboard in their comments, calling the skit "tasteless" and "offensive" and implying that the negative image depicted in the skit will further decrease visitor numbers. Really Dukie? You really think some couple on the mainland who's dreamed of visiting Hawaii will watch this skit and change their minds because the Rock teased some tourists? Get real. How about concentrating on more critical issues huh?

Personally, I thought the skit was hilarious.

Check it out!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Belly =9 said...

I can't watch this video in Korea... boohoo ㅠ_ㅠ

3/18/2009 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home