Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Not Funny....

Came across this Youtube video of a Korean stand up "comedian" performing on the NBC show Last Comic Standing. I watched the first 2 seasons of this show cuz I love stand up comedy but I stopped watchinga after that because the number of unfunny comedians way outnumbered the funny ones.

Anyway, this Korean comedian (I think she said her name was Esther Goo) does an act that is all about her being an Asian and a Korean. I have always been a fan of racial comedy and applying stereotypes if used in the right way. Famous comedians such as Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, George Lopez, et al have all incorporated racial stereotypes into their material and have become famous for it. But they key is they satirize the stereotypes and exaggerate them to show audiences how absurd they are. It is a social message of sorts, a way for them to raise awareness of racism and how stupid it is. This kind of comedy works.

Then you have the comedians who just exploit racial stereotypes for an easy laugh. Jay Leno making a joke about Koreans eating dog on the Tonight Show a few years back is a good example (I still personally boycott The Tonight Show to this day because of this). There is no depth or commentary to the material and they are just in it for exploitation at the expense of a minority, even if it means selling out and making fun of themselves. I despise this kind of comedy. Granted...it's a fine line between the two approaches and a very subjective one at that. One person's comedy could be another's racism.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid this young Korean comedian falls into the latter category. It appears that she has no qualms about exploiting stereotypes of her own race and ethnicity just for the laughs and to appear on national TV. That's my take on it anyway....or is she really a comedic genius and a brilliant actor and really is providing some sort of social commnetary? Uh...somehow I don't think so.

Check it out for yourself...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG this girl is not funny. Her initial jokes are simply lame and cheap. And her pregnant pauses waiting for an audience response only seemed to be begging for a response. I only watched the first few seconds because the streaming was choppy and after hearing her first few lines, I did not think that the wait to hear the rest was worth my time.

5/28/2008 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home