Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Producers

I wouldn't call myself a theatre "buff" but I certainly do enjoy live performances at the theatre whether they be concerts, plays, musicals, what have you. Wish I could get around to watching more of them but mostly I just pick and choose the major productions like Lion King. So when I was looking for something to do this weekend and read in the paper that Diamond Head Theatre was premiering their version of the Mel Brooks musical The Producers this weekend, it roused my curiosity enough to go check it out.

I didn't know much about the play besides the basic premise. A down on his luck producer and his accountant come up with a scheme to make millions by producing a Broadway flop but are shocked when it actually becomes a huge hit. And I knew that Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane played the two leads in the Broadway version and that it won a ton of Tony Awards. That was about it.

So I was going into this play pretty fresh and I have to say, it was very entertaining! If you like Mel Brooks's style (Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, etc.), you'll recognize his writing all throughout the dialogue and lyrics. The actors were all very good and I laughed all the way through. The 2nd act after intermission did lose a little bit of steam but the play was very funny and the musical numbers were very well produced for a local theatre.

I especially liked the outrageous "Keep It Gay" scene. That was just classic Mel Brooks un-PC stuff. Hilarious!

And very affordable too! Even though I bought my tickets at the last minute, I was able to get 3rd row seats (was very lucky) and they only cost $22. Considering the play ran nearly 3 hours, that's a lot of bang for your buck! But I'd advise against sitting in the first row. Your neck might get a crick from looking up at the stage and there's a very likely chance you'll be sprayed with either saliva or sweat from the actors. Really.

So go check it out if you're into this kind of thing. The Producers runs until June 1st.

EDIT: Check out the glowing review at The Honolulu Advertiser - The Producers Review

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home