Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Dinner at Ruby Tuesday

I won a $50 gift certificate to Ruby Tuesday at my company Christmas Party this past Friday night so I decided to take my parents out to dinner at the new Ruby Tuesday that opened up very recently in Moanalua Shopping Center. Most of the comments I'd heard about Ruby Tuesday was that it was "all right" with no one really having tremendously positive things to say about it so I wasn't expecting much going in.

The decor was interesting. A bunch of movie and other miscellaneous paraphenelia adorned the walls and there were TVs everywhere. It's scary that Americans are getting to a point where they simply can't be without a TV wherever they go. I find it kind of sad that a "family" restaurant where you're supposed to go to spend time with your family and enjoy a meal together has TVs all over to draw your attention, taking time away from actually having a conversation with your loved ones. Oh well...

Ruby Tuesday's slogan is "Simple Fresh American Dining" and that seems to be accurate. Looking at their menu, I thought it was fairly limited. A half dozen or so appetizers, a few steak selections (actually the selections were varieties of the same thing), a few chicken selections, a few seafood selections, and ribs. Simple is right. The menu selections at TGIF and Cheesecake Factory are much more diverse.

Our waitress was an Anna Farris doppleganger that seemed a bit valley girl-ish and cold at first. This made me apprehensive about our order being correct but she later opened up and I achieved some decent banter with her (channelling Seinfeld's Costanza who likes to banter with waitresses). ^__^



We started off with the spinach and artichoke dip appetizer.The dip was actually very good, although I was yearning for bits of crab like you get at Ryan's Grill. But still, it was good. They give you colored tortilla chips which they claim to bake fresh everyday but about half of our chips were a little on the stale side. Anna said that if we had let her know she would've replaced them but because the service was a bit slow I was afraid that we wouldn't get the new chips till after our entrees arrived and that they would be stale too.

Then the entrees came. I had a half order of Classic BBQ baby back ribs. It came with a huge baked potato with the works and a piece of garlic bread. The ribs were okay. The meat fell of the bones like how they're supposed to yet it was still a bit dry. The bbq sauce was also a bit bland but acceptable.

My mother ordered the shrimp pasta parmesan.This entree came with about a dozen small sized shrimp over penne pasta covered by a Parmesan cream sauce. The shrimp were not that juicy and the cream sauce was also dry. She did not really enjoy it and after having a taste of it, I have to say I didn't really either.

My father ordered the ribeye steak.Now this was a pleasant surprise. I usually don't order steaks at restaurants that aren't steak restaurants because the quality has always been disappointing but I'll admit...the ribeye was pretty good! The meat was very tender and flavorful. This too came accompanied by a baked potato and garlic bread. The only minor flaw was that my dad ordered it medium but it came out closer to medium rare but that's the way he and I like it anyhow. So thumbs up for the ribeye!

I also ordered a trip to the salad bar ($3.99) and it was pretty good as well. I would just get a platefull and the three of us shared.

The total bill came out to about $71 for the three of us. 3 entrees, 1 appetizer, 1 side salad bar, and 1 soft drink. I gave the standard 15% tip to Anna so the total came out to $82. Kind of pricy for a meal for 3 of that quality. It's a good thing I had my $50 gift card so I spent only $32 out of pocket.

Overall, a satisfactory visit that pretty much agreed with my preconception of the place. At those prices, I doubt I'd go back unless it was for the decently priced ribeye ($21.99).

I'd give Ruby Tuesday a 6/10.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It depends on what you order I guess. We ate at AM and Windward Mall and it was just so-so. The rib eye platter made me hungry.
Have you tried Choi's behind Walmart yet? My gf's and I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

The food was ok and banchan was different from other places but I thought it was overpriced for what we got. Plus even though all of us spoke Korean and were very polite, the waitress was rude to us. My friend kept saying omo mo mo mo mo and insisted the waitress was giving us joo goo leh stare.
I paid because I was the oldest but left a 25% tip because didn't want to wait for the change to come back. When they took it to the register and we started walking out she said wait for your change and I told her it was tip she got so really very nice and ran to open the door for us. No more joo goo leh stare after that but we don't want to go back.

12/06/2006 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Sister-n-law took my mom, her 2 sisters who came to visit her from Maui and California and her daughter to Ala Moana. They decided to eat at Ruby Tuesday. My mom brought back some take out. She got the Baby Back Ribs. I really enjoyed the ribs.

About a month later they stopped over there again to eat lunch. And she brought me the same think. This time it did not taste as good as it did the first time.

12/09/2006 6:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0710

jordan 32
asics shoes
mac makeup
christian louboutin outlet
cheap jordans
fendi handbags
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
giuseppe zanotti outlet
michael kors outlet




7/09/2018 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home