Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Baby!!!

The World Cup has officially started! 32 teams from all over the world compete for sport's grandest prize. I've been so waiting for this tournament to begin. For me, this is THE sporting event. Better than the Super Bowl, March Madness, and the Olympics. This is the granddaddy. After all, it's the world championship of the world's most popular sport!

Host team Germany got off to a great start this morning, defeating Costa Rica 4-2. I went out drinking last night and didn't get home till 2AM, yet I was still able to wake up at 6AM this morning to watch this match and am I glad I did! 3 goals in the 1st half, followed by 3 more in the 2nd. Great football. Germany looked cool and collected the entire game, almost like they were playing with the Costa Ricans. Although Costa Rica scored 2 goals, they were more defensive lapses my the German backfield more than anything and the striker was clearly offside on the 2nd goal.

The 2 teams I'll be watching the closest are of course Korea and the US. Here are their schedules (all HST):

Korea:

6/13 Tuesday 3:00 AM - Togo (ESPN2)
6/18 Sunday 9:00 AM - France (ABC) --> HD! Yay!
6/22 Thursday 9:00 AM - Switzerland (ESPN2)

USA:

6/12 Monday 6:00 AM - Czech Republic (ESPN2)
6/17 Saturday 9:00 AM - Italy (ABC) --> HD! Yay!
6/21 Wednesday 4:00 AM - Ghana (ESPN) --> HD! Yay!

From the looks of that schedule, looks like I'll be going in to work a little late on 6/22!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SK leading group G. Big match coming up against France Sunday morning!

Orbs

6/13/2006 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home