Monday, July 17, 2006

K-Festival Wrap Up

The Korean Festival 2006 has come and gone and it was another fun experience. The crowd seemed to be smaller than last year's and that was probably due to the threat of rain in the morning. Lunch crowds were lined up 20 people deep last year but this year I never saw a line with as many as 10 people in it. Talking with some of the vendors, they agreed that it wasn't as good a year as last year.

Still, it was a fun day. Much appreciation goes to Wayne's World for staying there for about 14 hours and contributing in a big way doing a lot of hard labor. Thanks man! I can count on you for next year too, right?

Taking advantage of Oceanic's digital News on Demand channel (Channel 110), I caught the coverage of the Festival on all 4 broadcasts the next day to see what kind of coverage it got. KHNL and KITV were the best, offering the most visuals and interviews. KHON of course was the worst. It always amazes me how this channel's news is consistently #1. They only offered about 2 or 3 scenes of the Festival with no interview or commentary. They ended their K-Fest segment with a shot showing mandoo being fried in a deep frier with literally 4-5 seconds of silence. Hah? And Hawaii residents usually tend to dislike people who think they're "all that" and yet they continue to watch the pompous and arrogant Joe Moore? I just don't get it. Plus whenever I watch KHON (which is only in passing as I pass from channel to channel) I feel like I'm watching a news broadcast from the 70s. Their set just looks so old. Anyways.....

....speaking of news....yours truly was interviewed by KGMB at the Festival and asked to give an opinion on the North Korean missile tests and the reaction of the United Nations. Since I was at the Festival till about 11PM, I missed the original broadcast but caught it on News on Demand (thanks again, Oceanic!). I watched the airing of my short on camera moment with my parents and after it was over of course they were all like "You look so good!" and "You spoke so well!" (neither of which was true). Typical parent talk. The funny thing is, about 10 minutes later, after all the adoration was over, they asked me, "So what was it exactly that you said?". LOL. Parents....gotta love 'em.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments about "KHON". This is one channel I stay far away from when it concerns the newscast. #1 my fiit. Joe Moore is so boring.

7/17/2006 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your parents can't understand what you said because you talk too damn fast for them too!

Orbs

7/17/2006 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. I caught the scene on News on Demand as well.

But, to paraphrase, Mr. Myong Choi (who was basically introduced by KGMB’s Saturday anchor Stacey Loe as a “community leader” of the local Korean public. Right on, man) stated that he thinks the South has been, uh (yes, there was an “uh” in there. Watch your “uhs”, man, heh), too lenient toward the North, specifically citing the South’s sunshine edict with the Stalinist state. Anyway, what does S. Korea have to show for it, Mr. Choi continues? Missile threats and these missile launchings from Pyongyang. Also, Myong suggests the South halt aid to the North. Somewhere Dr. Rhee is pumping his fist, methinks, heh.

Oh, and, nice visor, Mr. Choi. Good showing. Bravo, bravo

7/18/2006 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home