Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Lidia Fashion Show

I was asked to help out at the Lidia Fashion Show this past weekend at the Sheraton Hotel in Waikiki. I got there at around 3:30pm and watched them set up the lighting, the cameras, and also run through their dress rehearsal. I actually helped very little and ended up mostly as a spectator.

As I was walking through the hotel lobby on my way to the elevators, I saw a couple of the models walking towards the same place I was going to and I remember thinking...they're "okay". They were wearing casual clothes (jeans, shorts, t-shirt, tank tops, etc) and looked pretty normal. Attractive, but not stunning.But I must say...when they did the dress rehearsal...wow! Big difference! The same models I saw in the lobby downstairs looked like they had gone through a transformation. I guess makeup, hair, lighting, and clothes do make a big difference!I was tempted to click pics (of course I had my dica on me) during the dress rehearsal cuz I was sitting in the front row right next to the end of the catwalk but there were only about a dozen or so staff people around and I didn't want to be that creepy pervert taking pictures of the models so I resisted my temptation.Then showtime came and the people started filing in. These people paid either $150 for a regular seat or $300 for a VIP treatment. Whoa. Some notables were there including Ann Kobayashi and Jeff Chung of KBFD. The event was MCed by KHON reporter Tanya Joaquin and some Korean dude I didn't know. All in all, there were about 500 people in attendance.During the actual show, I didn't hold back from taking pics cuz everyone else was doing it too so I felt less self conscious about being a pervert. Unfortunately, the lighting was really strong and I couldn't figure out how to accomodate that on my dica so my pics didn't turn out that great. Sorry. Here's a little video of the opening act:

There were also a couple of Korean male celebrities who came to model. One was Shin Hyun Joon from the drama Stairway to Heaven and the 2 Married to the Mafia sequels. Here he is:Comedian/actor Tak Jae Hoon also modeled.Tak and Shin were both entertaining as they played up to the crowd and the ajummas loved it. There were a group of 4 ajumma (housewives) standing next to me taking pics and they were going nuts. Every time either of the male celebs hit the catwalk, they'd literally jump and down, clap, dance, and take pics of themselves with the celeb in the background. These are all ladies in their 40s and 50s now. Amazing.After the fashion show was over, there were 3 Korean male singers who performed a concert. I have no idea who any of them were though.Overall, I had a good time! It was my first fashion show ever and it was pretty cool. The designs by Lidia looked good and stylish and I must say I was a little impressed. There were even some pretty revealing ones that didn't cover anything up. You could see the audience get a little embarassed when those came out. But overall, I had a good time and I definitely would consider going to another fashion show in the future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I used to do makeup for the fashion shows I was always impressed by the model's natural good looks and fabulous skin. They don't need makeup when they're not working like the rest of us.

Creepy pervert..ha ha..I know what you mean because the creepiest guys were always the ones offering to take your picture for their portfolio.

10/30/2006 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home