Saturday, June 23, 2007

Dim Sum Saturday at Good Luck Chinese Restaurant

I've been eating dim sum pretty much every Saturday at Good Luck Chinese Restaurant with my dad for at least the last 2 years. It's located in the Chinese Cultural Plaza, at the corner of Beretania Street and Mauna Kea Street and it's got my vote for overall favorite dim sum on the island. Other places may be more exotic, but no one can beat Good Luck in terms of the combination of taste and cost.

First of all, gotta get the dipping sauces ready. I always dip each piece of dim sum in both the hot mustard/shoyu mix AND the red chili pepper sauce, always in that order.Chive dumplings ($1.80)Pork hash ($1.80) I love this dish. Their pork hash is so full of flavorShanghai dumplings ($2.60) Another favorite. Since I'm a mandoo killer, of course I'd like these steamed dumplings too!

Then the fried dishes cart came wheeling by...

Potstickers! ($1.80) Like I said....mandoo killer! The potstickers here are so ono!Pan fried chives ($1.80) The thick, chewy pi is such a good mix with the shrimp and vegetable goodness insideFried shrimp ($2.60) Also good, but gotta be hot. My one criticism of this place is that they sometimes let their fried dishes sit out too long and cool down. No no no!Then we bought an order of char siu bao (manapua) to take home for my mom ($1.80). The bread is so light and fluffy and the generous amount of char siu inside is cooked perfectly.We sometimes vary things up a bit by ordering look fun or house special cake noodles or the scallop dumplings but the above dishes are the usuals.

So that's where I am every Saturday morning between approximately 10:30am and 11:15am. If anyone ever wanted to assassinate me, they'd know where to find me! But how can you beat those prices? No can! This place has great dim sum and although sometimes I have to admit that eating the same thing every Saturday is kind of tiresome, my dad really loves this place and every time I go, I have a great meal. Check it out!

2 Comments:

Blogger tabasco man said...

Wow, every Saturday?

Looks good though. I love that red chili sauce. Almost as much as Tabasco.

6/24/2007 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omona! That's how I eat dim sum too. We go to Happy Day in Kaimuki. 25% if you go there before 11.

btw we finally ate at Mikawon. Enjoyed everything from the ban chan to the persimmon punch but have to say the friendliness and service was awesome. it felt like eating at komo's house lol. they kept giving us more ban chan and threw in such nice compliments. i'm such a sucker for that and left them a huge tip!

6/27/2007 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home