Friday, July 20, 2007

Uncle's Fish Market and Grill - Delicious!

When I ate at one of my favorite lunch places Nico's at Pier 38 a few weeks ago, I noticed that there was some construction activity happening right across the street. So I walked over and noticed that it looked like a new restaurant was opening up, promising fresh fish! So I told myself that I had to go check it out and soon!

So a few co-workers and I went to lunch there this past Wednesday. I showed up a little early so I took a few photos of a few of the fishing boats in the area.
The interior was very nice, with fishing paraphenelia all over the walls as well as flat panel TVs showing fishing DVDs.
You could watch them prepare your food in the open kitchen
A display case selling fresh fish, seafood, and salad for take home
They use the buzzer system just like Nico's to let you know when your food is ready
The menu is pretty diverse, but mostly fish based. The fish selections change day to day. They have plate lunches featuring fishes prepared by your choice of method (charbroiled, sauteed, blackened cajun style, and Uncle's style). They also have sandwiches, soups, salads, and even a few pasta dishes. Not to mention, they have the ever popular batter fried seafood and chips combos like shrimp and chips, fish and chips, oysters and chips, and calamari and chips.

We split an order of calamari and fries as an appetizer ($11.95)
Look how huge it is! And so ono!
I had the teriyaki hamachi steak ($12.95)
I gotta say, this dish was so good. The hamachi was so tender and the teriyaki sauce was just right. Not too sweet...not too rancid...but jus' right, ah!

One co-worker ordered the ahi, blackened Cajun style ($12.95). I had a piece of this and it was very good as well.
My other co-worker ordered the crab and avocado salad ($12.95). I'm not a big salad guy (obviously) so it tasted just okay for me.
Overall, I was very pleased with my lunch here and walked away super full. Uncle's Fish Market promises only fresh, no frozen seafood and you can tell when you eat it. The fish is super fresh. It may cost a little more than Nico's but I think I may be going here more often now. Of course, if I'm ever craving a really good burger or furikake ahi, Nico's is still the place. But if you're ever in the mood for really fresh fish, go check out Uncle's!

6 Comments:

Blogger Wayne's World said...

$13? I can eat $13 lunches in Thailand for that much! haha I'm so spoiled.....

Nah, looks ono!

7/21/2007 1:15 AM  
Blogger tabasco man said...

I agree, looks good, but I not rich like you, Myong.

7/21/2007 8:50 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

ha! i wish i was rich. but food is one thing i don't mind spending a little extra on once in a while, which you can tell by my body! lol

7/21/2007 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is Pier 38? Is it around John Dominis? Fish and chips ha go sippo yo. Are they open on Sunday?

7/21/2007 2:13 PM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Pier 38 is right next to Young Brothers on Nimitz Hwy and across the street from the Ginza West shopping center where Eagle Cafe is at.

And no...unfortunately they are closed on Sundays.

7/21/2007 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had lunch last week at Uncle's Fish Market and my experience wasn't as good as yours. The place was packed and the wait was 50 minutes for just 2 orders of Fish and Chips.
A table of office workers said their wait was just as long and the food was so-so.
They've only been open for a few weeks so maybe I'll try again in a few months.

8/03/2007 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home