Monday, June 16, 2008

Sunday Sports Action!

Been dealing with the aftershocks of a major life change the last 4-5 days so I've been trying to keep my mind and body busy. On Sunday, I did that by watching sports all day!

The morning started off by watching the Turkey vs. Czech Republic soccer match in the Euro Cup. The Swiss/Portugal game was also on at the same time but Portugal's main guns weren't playing (I mainly watch them for Ronaldo) because Portugal had already clinched the division so I decided to watch the game that actually meant something. The winner of the Turkey/Czech game would advance to 2nd round of the Euro Cup and the loser would go home.

The Czech team blasted out to a 2-0 lead early in the 2nd half and it looked like curtains for the Turks. But then, they blasted off 2 goals within 10 minutes! Yay, a PK shootout! But no! They squeezed in one more goal to defeat the Czechs and advance! Holy cow! There's been only 1 game in this year's Euro Cup where a team came from behind to win and guess who that was? Yup, the Turks! Awesome game!

Then I had to watch the US Open. Majors in golf are exciting already but when you throw Tiger into the mix, it's must watch TV. You never know what kind of amazing golf he'll come up with (just think of Saturday's back 9 if you have any doubts!). And of course, it was very exciting as Tiger had to birdie the final hole to force an 18 hole playoff today. Awesome!

Then it was time for more soccer. The US team was starting their World Cup qualification process with a match against Barbados. Or was it a massacre? I believe they defeated them 8-0 as the Barbados team was clueless out on the field. Plus, with a healthy Landon Donovan and Beasley, the US is a much more cohesive unit. Hawaii boy Brian Ching scored 3 goals in his first US appearance in a long while but only 1 of those goals was really legit. But still, congrats to him! And young sensation Freddy Adu continues to impress me with his skills. I've watched him play the last couple of matches and for a young kid (he's 18 now), he's got some pretty good ball handling skills. Now he's gotta learn to be more aggresive on the shots on goal.

Finally, there was the NBA Finals. I've watched every game so far except for Game 4 and have enjoyed them all. Yesterday was no exception. I expected LA to win but I thought it would be Kobe dominating them to victory. He more or less disappeared after the 1st quarter but did come up with that controversial "steal" at the end of the 4th to put the game away. Back to Boston!

Yeah, that's a lot of hours in front of the TV yesterday. Thank goodness for the DVR! What would've taken approximately 11-12 hours to watch, I was able to condense down to about 7 hours. Good thing! I needed to keep my mind busy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home