Wednesday, June 11, 2008

When Does It End?

Hoo boy....Hollywood sure is reaching for movie ideas. We've all seen the surge in movies based on TV shows, cartoons, and now even toys. While movies based on comic books seem natural, movies based on childhood fads is another thing.

We've had tons of movies based on TV shows of yesteryear...some good (Mission:Impossible series, Charlie's Angels, The Untouchables) and some very bad (Bewitched, The Dukes of Hazzard). Now the toy genre is getting in the game although I have to admit I really loved Transformers and the new G.I.Joe movie (with Korean star Lee Byung Hun!) looks very promising too.

But now they're doing kiddie cartoons? Last year there was the huge box office success of Alvin and the Chipmunks (which I will probably never see) and this year there was the huge flop Speed Racer. Now, they've just announced they're making a Smurfs movie! And not only that, they're planning a trilogy! Geez....is nothing sacred anymore? I think I just smurfed in my mouth a little bit!

Actually, what bothers me more than the rehashing of old things is the reluctance to go with original concepts and writing. We all know there's tons of starving screenwriters in Hollywood, just hoping for their big break. Why doesn't Hollywood give them a shot? How about offering the public something original for a change? Why has it been so long since we've discovered the next Tarantino or Shyamalan? But if Hollywood continues to stay lazy and artistically brain dead....I fear for the writers. I really do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home