Thursday, July 17, 2008

Korean Restaurants

A co-worker just asked me for recommendations for a good Korean restaurant and it got me thinking...there are a few weird things about the Korean restaurants here.

- A lot of of Korean restaurants here use the word "yakiniku" when referring to the act of grilling meat. Yakiniku Camellia. Yakiniku Seoul. Seoul Garden Yakiniku. Not sure why since yakiniku is a Japanese term. I've eaten at lots of meat restaurants in Korea and not once have I heard it referred to as "yakiniku" there. Must be a local thing.

- I've read lots of reviews online for Korean restaurants about the difference in serving "banchan" (side dishes) to local customers and Korean customers. Apparently, local customers feel that they're not getting as many different banchan as Korean customers are getting. Typical statements would say "I looked at the table next to ours and the Koreans there had more banchan than we did." Since I'm Korean and usually order in Korean, I can't say that I've seen a difference since I've always assumed that what was served to me was also served to everyone else. If indeed this is not the case, that is very unfortunate. Restaurants shouldn't be playing favorites nor giving preferential treatment to Koreans. But I must admit that there have been times where I've asked for a banchan that they originally didn't bring out (such as ggakdugi or daikon kimchee) and they've brought it out if they had it.

- Speaking of....at most Korean restaurants here, you're supposed to get a free order of jjigae, usually kimchee jjigae (kimchee stew) or dwenjang jjigae (miso stew) with your order of meats. That's how it's done in Korea. Actually, in Korea, they don't eat rice with the meat. The meat is consumed straight or wrapped in a piece of lettuce (or a shot of soju) and you eat it with banchan. After you've eaten your meat, then they bring out the jjiage and rice, or sometimes naengmyun (noodles) to complete the meal.

But I heard several locals say that they never got this free stew with their meat order. Don't let them rip you off! Demand that free jjigae! Your Korean neighbors are getting and so should you! There are only 2 places that I know of that don't do this. Seoul Jung in the Waikiki Resort Hotel and Sorabol. And they can both kiss my butt. I don't like Sorabol's food anyway so I don't go there.

- If you were to ask me where the best Korean restaurants in town were, I'd give you 3 choices: Yakiniku Seoul, Seoul Garden, and Mikawon. Yakiniku Seoul has excellent service, Mikawon has good seafood pancake and draft beer, and Seoul Garden is good all around. I've been hearing some good things about Choi's Garden lately so I may have to go check that one out again. I ate there for lunch once but was not impressed. I think I'll go give it another shot.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mikawon sucks now. they changed owners and cooks about a year ago.

7/18/2008 8:51 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Aw, really? The last time I was there was March 07. Was that the old owner/cook?

Damn!

7/18/2008 8:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If viewers aren't committed to NFL Jerseys sports coverage, there are plenty of cheaper options for distributors nfl jerseys store to choose from.

Despite cheap nfl jerseys figures that paint a christian louboutin shoes picture Nike Air Max 90 of a cable christian louboutin uk ecosystem Nike Free Run in wholesale nfl jerseys slow decline, a number of channels louboutin outlet saw Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes significant growth over Nike Roshe Run the last year.

12/11/2016 3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home