Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Dinner at Mikawon

It was my mom's birthday yesterday so I took her and my dad out to dinner to celebrate. I told her she could pick wherever she wanted and being the meat loving carnivore she is, she decided on Mikawon, a Korean yakiniku restaurant. Mikawon is located at 1726 Kapiolani Blvd, right across from the Convention Center. I had actually never been there before so was really curious because I've heard great things about them from a number of people.

We got to the restaurant at around 6:30pm and it was packed! Luckily, a group of people just left when we got in so we got a booth instead of having to sit at one of the middle tables.

First of all, one of the great things about this restaurant is that they have draft beer! When I ordered 3 Bud Lights for the table, the waitress asked if we wanted bottles or draft. I was like, "Huh? You have draft beeer? Shoots!" You just don't see that too often in Korean restaurants here. When the beer came, I am pleased to say that it came in a frosted mug and it was ice cold. Yummmm!!!!We then proceeded to order. Since the restaurant is known for their wang galbi, we ordered 2 of that and also 1 order of the skirt steak. Of course, had to order a side of the seafood pancake as well!

First, they brought all of the side dishes. They were pretty good, especially the bean sprouts, but I was a little disappointed they didn't have a shoyu potato dish. But they did have "mook" the white jelly type dish so that was a plus.Then, the seafood pancake ($12.95) came. Now, I know that I may be prone to exaggeration here and there, but oh man....this was the best seafood pancake I've ever had. It was just awesome. When I ordered it, I asked the waitress to make it a little on the crispy side and it was perfect. I thought Little Seoul was good but this seafood pancake is definitely winnahs!Then came the meat. Before bringing the meat, however, they brought the hot charcoals to cook the meat. No gas here, baby!We started off with the skirt steak because the wang galbi was seasoned and whenever you cook meats yakiniku style you always start off with the least seasoned meat first, otherwise if you start with the marinated and seasoned stuff first, the subtle seasoning of everything else won't be detected and the meat will taste bland. There's a rhyme and reason to all this.

The skirt steak ($22.95) was very good. Soft and tender, and seasoned perfectly. Highly recommended. I wish we had ordered more of this.Then we grilled the wang galbi ($22.95). To be very honest, I was a little disappointed in this considering it's the house specialty. The meat contained a bit too much fat and gristle in it for my taste and the seasoning was a little too bland as well. I much preferred the seasoned galbi at Seoul Garden. Not to say that it was bad...I was just expecting something better. But overall, a very high quality meat and still delicious.

Also, note the exhaust fan directly over the grill. This is another plus for Mikawon. Having the exhause so close to the grill eliminates a lot of that meat stench on your clothes that you usually get at these yakiniku restaurants.Then they brought out the kimchee jjigae. Whenever you order yakiniku meat at these restaurants, they offer you free jjigae, usually 1 per 2 orders of meat. We opted for the kimchee jjigae (other choice was dwenjang jjigae aka miso stew) and that was very good as well. Mixing that together with hot rice was ono!Overall, the meal was highly enjoyable and I'd put Mikawon right up there with Seoul Garden as my favorite Korean restaurant. The draft beer and the perfectly made seafood pancake really helped the restaurant's score. I think next time I'll skip the wang galbi and order more skirt steak and possibly regular seasoned galbi.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mikawon in Waikiki is good too. Our family went out to Shillawon the other night and we ordered the same thing plus sam gyup sal. They also gave us 10 ban chan including mook but no gamja. They served draft beer.

Pajon is really good at Shillawon. It's one of their specialties. Tastier than Yu Chun's and Little Seoul. Does your family like hwe?
Shillawon has a good salad dish with hwe.
Where did you park? I never see any parking there. Your pics make me want to eat there tonight!

3/27/2007 2:26 PM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Yeah, Shillawon is pretty good too. Their seafood pancake is good but I still like Mikawon's better. The one thing about Shillawon that I don't care for actually has nothing to do with their food, which is actuall pretty good.

The reason why I don't care for that place is that the owner was very very rude and pushy when we had a dinner party there when the celebrity basketball team came into town. She would interrupt them when they were in mid-conversation to ask for autographs and picture opportunities and she even physically grabbed some of them by the arm when they were on the phone to tell them to take photos with her son. Very rude and obnoxious.

As far as parking for Mikawon, you know that big empty lot across the street, next to Rock Za? You can park in any of the stalls lined with yellow paint, so there's actually lots of parking.

3/27/2007 2:39 PM  
Blogger Wayne's World said...

Ho braddah, three plus already! haha

I had that seafood pancake and it's not better than Little Seoul. It's pretty good though.

3/27/2007 3:21 PM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

no worry, brah! i'm working out regularly now so i'm maintaining my weight, as heavy as it is.

and i think your taste buds were numbed by the soju at Little Seoul. Mikawon's pancake is da bomb, yo!

3/27/2007 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found the parking lot but the place was too crowded. Must be the pajon. Will try again on Friday. Ended up at Romano's Macaroni and I didn't really like it there. Too noisy and the food was just so-so. PF Chang's is so overrated too. It was packed in LV and the one here, what's the big deal. Have you eaten there?

Back to Shillawon: is that the newest owner? I know they changed management recently but if it's the same owner she always asks me in a very subdued and quiet voice how my mom is. I always thought she was chakhae but hearing that from you makes me think she just went starstruck and well you've seen ajumma-deul go out of their element and act really stupid over K-stars. How embarrasing. The only star I would act stupid for would be Will Ferrell and Gwen Stefani hehe.

3/28/2007 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Romano's! Awww, Unnie. I LOVE that place.

Don't drink too much alchs, but, now, THAT's a beer!!! Sorta' reminds me of how Ruby Tuesday and some other joints (mostly on the mainland) serve big ol' soft drinks in a big mug like that. Now, THAT's what I'd go for!

Generous amounts of food, no? Thanks for the tip, Myong; passed by that place many a time, but, now I know to go in!

3/29/2007 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home