Sunday, March 18, 2007

Lost - Random Comment

Yeah, another boring episode of Lost. That Claire flashback did nothing for me. Revealing that she was Jack's half sister was kind of hinted at already in the past so it wasn't really a big revelation. They're falling into the trap again where the episode is full of fluff, and then they show you the one cool scene at the end to bring you back next week. That's weak.

Anyway.....the reason why I wanted to comment on this past episode was because of the book that Sawyer was reading. While he was sitting on the beach, I noticed that he was reading The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand. That just happens to be my favorite classic literature book ever. If you haven't read it, you should definitely get your hands on a copy and just dive in. It's brilliant. It's about this architect (George Costanza would love this book) named Howard Roark and his life, dealing with all kinds of difficulties. I don't want to summarize too much cuz you just gotta read it. I was trying to think of what kind of ties the writers were trying to make with Sawyer and the character Howard Roark but nothing solid came to mind. Props anyway for pumping that book!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this book at some point in high school (Jr. or Sr. year) and I didn’t believe it to be as challenging as Shakespeare, Hemingway, Faulkner, all the other literary greats, and then some, that you also run into as an English major (and before declaring as such if you’re a serious English major; OK, high-nosed rant over). Rand has some decent ideas albeit a bit naïve for my tastes. One thing I must admit, though -- upon delving into Aristotelian works at the beginning of university (and years after reading Rand’s book) I recalled certain elements from The Fountainhead.

Besides the work veering more toward a philosophical rant than a literary one, I noticed The Fountainhead, as well as other Rand works, noticeably missing as part of an English major’s coursework. I assumed the absence an oversight until I started talking to majors from other colleges and universities, small and large. I also recall a certain professor (who adheres to the classic canon, therefore, a professor that I respect. Looks like the lack of Rand is intentional. The recent mega-popularity of Lord of the Rings and the more recent 300 in very public venues a coincidence? I think not; folks are yearning for “classic” – no matter where they have to begin – as they always have. 2nd rant over) in the department who mentioned Ayn Rand as a footnote, then kinda’ scoffed and laughed after mentioning a certain Rand work about writing. I guess, if I’m to be objective (pardon the pun), if for no other good reason, if the logic of “no Rand” in English Departments has to do with the availability of X amount of great literary works before Rand’s to pore over as an English major, then I’ll have to agree.

Come to think of it, the “some are more equal than others” sentiment you get from Orwell holds more water than the entirety of The Fountainhead methinks.

All THAT having been said, Rand’s works are quite popular and, well, what can you say about a bestseller than keeps on bestselling; that, at least, is something Rand can share with her more literary Shakespeares, Hemingways, Faulkners, all the other greats.

3/19/2007 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home