Monday, February 26, 2007

Congratulations Marty!

Legendary director FINALLY won an Academy Award for Best Director last night for his latest film, The Departed. The icon had been previously nominated 6 times without winning for landmark films such as Raging Bull and Goodfellas but he finally got his long overdue award. I thought The Departed was an excellent film and glad it won the Best Picture award even though I haven't seen the other nominees. But just the fact that it was based on an excellent Hong Kong flick made it my sentimental favorite.

And speaking of...I wish these damn Hollywood people would do their homework! During the Oscar ceremony, after The Departed won the award for Best Adapted Screenplay, the announcer stated that it was based on the JAPANESE film Infernal Affairs! I mean come on! That's just disrespect! And then this morning as I was getting ready for work I had ABC news on and the reporter said that The Departed was a remake of a CHINESE film. It makes me want to throw up. What, all the Asians are the same to these people?

At least Scorsese had the respect to mention the Hong Kong writers and director of the source film in his speech. Now that's a class act.

I also wanted to say that I was very disappointed that Eddie Murphy didn't win for Best Supporting Actor for Dreamgirls. Granted, I haven't seen either his film or the performance that won, Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine, but I just wanted Eddie to win cuz I like his films a lot and the man is a Hollywood icon. You could see the disappointment on his face when they didn't announce his name. What does Hollywood have against box office stars? Give them their due when they deserve it! Tom Cruise is waiting for his Oscar too!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sang Park said...

You know, as much as I enjoyed both Jennifer Hudson's and Eddie's roles in Dreamgirls, I just didn't think the movie was all that good. Especially the ending...I thought it was rushed and didn't particularly made a whole lot of sense. Considering this, I would've thought it would be a complete shock if the movie garnered 2 of the main awards in the ceremony. They probably should've given the award to Eddie and gave the Female support role to someone else.

As Will Ferrell sang so eloquently, the comedians just don't get the Oscar... :)

2/26/2007 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you had me totally, until you said cruise. I guess Jennifer Hudson was cold comfort to Eddie Murphy. They totally got shafted on the songs Oscar and Eddies Oscar. Oh well. Better luck next time. I am very happy for Forest, though, isn't that great!
And Hong Kong isn't Chinese?
What should they have said, "it was based on a Hong KongESE film"? ;)

Goes to show ya, americans can only be good when they steal stuff.

1/08/2008 3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home