Thursday, February 15, 2007

Las Vegas - Day 1

After the Hawaiian Airlines delay, we arrived in Las Vegas at around 10:30am. The first thing was to pick up the rental car from Alamo. I've found that Alamo offered the cheapest rates the last couple of times I've been to Vegas. I was able to get a full sized car for only $83 for a 3 day rental period. Pretty good! After browsing the full sized car aisle, I could've chosen either a Ford Taurus, Pontiac Grand Prix, etc. But I decided to go with the Hyundai Sonata. Gotta support my brothas! Actually, I remembered the Sonata getting pretty good reviews so I figured I'd give it a shot. The car was great, by the way.After meeting up with my sister, we went to go eat breakfast at The Omelet House. I found out about this place by doing some research on the internet. After eating there, I'm pleased to announce that it lives up to its reputation. I'm not usually a big omelet guy but I really enjoyed my order. It was called the "Popeye" and consisted of spinach and mushrooms. Look how cheesy!After breakfast, we checked into our hotel room at the MGM Grand. The last few times I've been to Vegas with my family we've stayed at the Main Street but I wanted to upgrade this time. The room was fantastic. Nice and spacious and oh so fancy! Even the linens on the bed felt really luxurious. Highly recommended hotel! The room cost me $425 for 3 nights. Very well worth it!We then went for a drive to check out Fashion Outlet in Primm. I don't really care for this mall too much but my dad wanted to check out this store cuz they sell cheap Italian made clothing. While my sis and I were waiting, we took some photos to kill time. Doing the Asian thing!After shopping, we went to go eat dinner at Main Street's Buffet. We specifically wanted to go there for their ox tail stew which is winnahs, and I even called ahead to make sure that it'd be on the menu for the night. When we got there, however, we discovered that there was no ox tail stew on the menu! Those liars! Oh well....

Then it was off to watch "Ka", the Cirque de Soleil show at the MGM Grand. I splurged for some good seats and they were well worth it! The show itself was pretty impressive and I especially like the technical aspects of it and also the parts that featured martial arts. The stage was amazing! Overall, I was not totally blown away by the show but it was still entertaining. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

After the show, I was finally able to get some gambling in. Played about 5 hours of blackjack from 1am to 6am and ended up exactly even for the day. Not a bad start!

Interesting story #1: At about 4am, I was looking for a blackjack table and saw one with a few slots open. One of the guys already on the table was a bald Hispanic guy with tattoos all over wearing a white wife beater tank top and blue jeans. He had obviously been drinking a lot. I thought twice about joining his table but then thought to myself, I don't want to be a victim to stereotype so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and joined him. He turned out to be a great guy and we were fist bumping each other after every hand we won. Then a couple wanted to join the table but there were no two spots next to each other available. They asked the Hispanic man if he could move one spot over so that they could sit together but he declined, saying he was having good luck in his spot.

That's when the pit boss stepped in. He told the couple that the Hispanic guy couldn't hold that particular spot and that if they wanted to sit together, that they could. So the Hispanic guy had to move over. I thought that this was wrong already. You don't move a guy over if he doesn't want to. Let the couple sit one spot apart. Big deal! Then, what happened next totally blew me away. The couple apologized to the Hispanic and thanked him for being understanding. The Hispanic said something like he didn't like being moved like that but will do it just for them. Then the pit boss stepped in again and said to the couple "If anyone on this table starts giving you any trouble, let me know right away and I'll have security take care of it right away". What? Where the hell did that come from? The Hispanic guy had made no action that was worthy of such a warning except to complain a little (rightfully so) about being moved.

Obviously and understandingly, the Hispanic was upset about this comment and started to accuse the pit boss of being a racist and stereotyping him. I have to say that I agree. That was totally wrong. I mean, the guy was a little tipsy and sure, he didn't look like your typical high roller but everyone deserves equal treatment unless they behave otherwise. The pit boss's reaction was totally uncalled for. Anyways, the Hispanic was so pist he played just one more hand and then went away, which was probably what the pit boss wanted anyway. That's just so so wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home