Thursday, July 03, 2008

Tango Contemporary Cafe

As I was driving through the Ward area one day I noticed a sign for what appeared to be a brand new restaurant right next to PF Chang's called Tango Contemporary Cafe. It peaked my curiosity so I decided to try it out a few weeks ago.

Doing some research on the web before dining there, I learned that Tango was opened by Chef Goran Streng who used to be the executive chef of Hawaii Prince Hotel and then a private chef for the Hawaii Yacht Club. Yeah...those mean nothing to me too. Anyways...I guess you could say that the cuisine combines the chef's European background with Pacific Rim/Asian fusion and from what I tasted, the results are pretty good!

My friend and I started off with the Portobello Mushroom & Crab Hash Napoleon with Spinach appetizer. This was a very tasty dish and I especially loved the portobello mushroom, the spinach, and the accompanying red wine reduction.

As you can see, we'd already consumed half the dish before I remembered to snap a pic!
Then time for the entrees.

I had the Asian Style Five Spice Braised Beef.In one word...yummy! The pieces of beef were very tender and the sauce was very ono. And I thought the potato and onion rings were a nice touch. My only complaint about this dish would be that it came out merely warm, and not hot.

My friend ordered the Sauteed Moi with Tomato Fennel Coulis.The moi was cooked very nicely and had a great flavor but I found the accompanying sauce and vegetables not a great match for the fish. I would've preferred the fish by itself than with what they served it with.

Overall, the restaurant is small and quaint but very nice and trendy looking yet simple. The prices are reasonable and food is good. I wouldn't mind going back to try different dishes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home