Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Kim Yun Jin for Red Cross

Actress Kim Yun Jin from Lost is the model for a new Red Cross print ad. I think it's great for an Asian American actress to get such national attention and recognition and hopefully this will lead to more mainstream acceptance and racially neutral character parts in the future. I guess Lucy Liu would be the prototype in this type of situation? She's been the only Asian American actress that I can think of who's played parts that had nothing to do with her race.

But I'll be a 100 times happier when an Asian American male makes it as big. We've been bogged down too long under the legacy of Charlie Chan, Long Duk Dong, Short Round, and Data. Don't get me wrong, despite the stereotyping I thought Long Duk Dong, Short Round, and Data were great characters. But it's time for Asian American men to branch out and not play nerds or martial artists. My choice to lead the pack? Sung Kang from A Better Tomorrow, The Motel, and the upcoming Fast and the Furious 3. The man's got charisma. Okay, enough of the man love for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home