Thursday, October 26, 2006

HIFF Report

I've seen all the films I've planned on seeing at HIFF this year. Here's some mini-reviews on them:
Dog Bite Dog - Dog Bite Dog is a pretty over the top and out there semi-action flick about a hitman from Cambodia (Edison Chen) who arrives in Hong Kong to kill a judge's wife. The hitman was raised like an animal, relying on winning brutal fist fights to earn money and meals. After doing his deed, he's on the hunt by a police detective named Wai who is almost as relentless as the hitman. He'll go through any means to get his target. A chase through the city of Hong Kong ensues as one wild man tries to elude another.

I can't say that this film was bad nor good. But it was definitely interesting and bizarre. There's some taboo subjects approached and the violence is very very graphic. And one scene at the end just took the film way over the top. I mean, I've seen my share of bizarre and extreme films and Dog Bite Dog didn't startle me one bit by its content but it did amuse.

However, I would not recommend it overall unless you like to experience something with a little flavor. But the terrible acting performances may turn you off as well.

One more thing. The projectionist aligned the film incorrectly and we couldn't read the English subs for like the first 10 minutes. At first, I thought HIFF had played another film without subs like they did at K-Fest because all we could see wre the Chinese subs on screen. Then I realized that the English subs were below the Chinese subs but were covered up because the film was set up too low. Luckily, there wasn't much dialogue in the first 10 minutes so we didn't miss much.

There will be another HIFF showing of this film on Saturday, 10/28/06, at 10:00pm if you're interested in seeing it.
The Host - I thought it was a very well made movie and I especially liked all the bickering amongst the family members. The little dark comedy moments are what director Bong Joon Ho does very well as seen in Barking Dogs Don't Bite and Memories of Murder. The actors were solid all around including veterans Song Kang Ho, Bae Du Na, Byeon Hee Bong, and Park Hae Il. I also liked seeing some of the theater actors that Bong used in MOM in this film as well.

The monster parts were done really well also. I thought the carnage parts would be more graphic though. Overall, it was pretty tame, except for that one "bones" scene that was pretty gross.

All in all, an enjoyable film, but not as good as Bong's MOM. Of course, it is a different genre of film.
A Dirty Carnival - I loved this film and I already consider it to be in my Top 10 favorite Korean films of all time. It's that good, especially if you're a fan of the Korean gangster movie genre.

I've always been a fan of Jo In Seong's and he certainly delivers again here. A lot of people have said he was a sub-par actor but I suggest people watch the underrated romance film Madeleine, the drama What Happened in Bali, and A Dirty Carnival to see what kind of range this guy has. He's got a natural and raw ability to his acting. Jin Gu as the right hand man Jong Soo is also great. I'm glad to see this guy making a nice movie career for himself as he's now appeared in 2 of my favorite gangster movies, this one and also A Bittersweet Life. And Lee Bo Yeong was also good as the female love interest.

A Dirty Carnival was written and directed by Yoo Ha who also did Once Upon a Time in High School, starring Kwon Sang Woo. This guy also writes poetry so it's evident that this skills as a writer are great. His scenario for this film flowed smoothly and never lets go of its grip on you.

For you action fans, there are a number of very well choreographed action scenes in the typical Korean gang fight style with guys flying around with baseball bats and sashimi knives. Be prepared though, some parts can get kind of graphic.

I highly recommend this film and would watch it over and over again.

10/10.

Note: There will be one more showing of A Dirty Carnival at HIFF on Saturday, 10/28/06, at 10:30pm. Go check it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home