Thursday, May 31, 2007

Another Low for Michelle Wie...+14 Over 16 Holes, Almost Banned!

Michelle Wie, in her first tournament back after a lengthy hiatus due to her wrist injuries, withdrew today from the Ginn Tribute Tournament after playing 16 holes at 14 over par. This included a 10 on the Par 5 3rd hole.

Michelle said that she tweaked her wrist during the round and that was why she withdrew, but ESPN is saying that the withdrawal may have been due to avoid the ruling that any non-Tour member who shoots 88 or higher is banned for the rest of the year. Since Michelle is not yet a full fledged LPGA member, this would apply to her and she was just 2 more bogeys from hitting that number.

I had no idea that rule existed but there's no doubt it played a role in her withdrawal. My question is, if she was so unprepared to return, why did she play this week? I'm assuming she played a lot of practice rounds leading up to this event. Did she really think she was ready? Auwe! This is just more fuel for the fire for all the Michelle Wie anti-fans out there and I have to admit, her career is on a serious negative swing in the last year or so. What was the last positive thing she's done on the course? Too long ago to remember....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ll say this, and I know it’s obvious: I think a comeback is in order. She got publicists? She might need publicists to weather her through all this. (I actually think folks still are puzzled by the whole "forgot the rules" followed by "fire the caddy" thing a while ago.) Can she go the “play at the collegiate level” as part of such a comeback? I dunno, with her signings and all.

I’m not a fan or detractor. Heck, I’ve become impartial toward golf altogether.

Bottom line is, I don’t think Wie can continue all of this and still prove relevant to the game if (let me finish), actually, more likely when the next youthful phenom (phenoms?) comes along? Yikes, didn’t the nonsponsored Tadd Fujikawa – announcer mentioning his first name wrong –alone give her a run for the money in the very same tournament Wie played in; this kid ain’t gonna’ be given a similar shot as Wie has? Talk about omens. Talk about irony, both coming from Hawaii.

I mean, if anything, brand name corporations have to watch their own bottom line.

5/31/2007 1:43 PM  
Blogger tabasco man said...

I am pretty sure she WD because of the 88. If she plays next week, that will reinforce my opinion.

I hope she has a psychologist because all of this has to be very hard on such a young person. All this expectations and negativity will make her "comeback" even harder.

I would really hate to see her go down as one of the worst sports busts in history.

5/31/2007 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home