Monday, May 28, 2007

Miss Universe is....Miss Japan!

아....참 아쉽다!!!!

Just got done watching my DVR of the Miss Universe pageant. Here's my running commentary...Keep in mind, I used to watch these things regularly as a kid so I kinda know the ins and outs. But I haven't watched for like the last 10 years or so. The internet buzz about Korea got me watching again this year. So here we go!

I'm glad I DVR'ed this. I can FF through all the nonsense such as the musical acts and the commentary by AC Slater and TRL girl.

What? No HD? Come on!!!

Here comes the costume parade. Got some really extravagant ones! How do they pack those things and get them on the plane? I can't see anyone's faces, what with all the packed on makeup, flowers, feathers, and dolphins, etc.

Here come the top 15...I hope Korea makes it!

Okay, only 3 spots left! Getting nervous!

What the hell? Don't tell me a bald chick (Tanzinia) is gonna beat out Honey Lee!

Whew! Okay, they finally called Korea with only 2 spots left! Safe...for now.

4 Asians in the Top 15 (Thailand, India, Japan, Korea). Pretty good!

Introducing the judges...Tony Romo? What a tool...James Kyson Lee...from Japan?!?! What the hell? Do your homework pageant producers! That just pissed me off. The dude is Korean! Ugh...I'm disgusted...

Swimsuit competition, here we come!

Thailand- TSP!...Slovenia - Eat a sandwich!....USA - Man, she's really pretty, got a great face...Japan - Overdoing it a bit on the "sexy" walk and the accentuated poses. Relax a little!....Korea - Good score! Yes, definitely in the Top 3.

Time for the Top 10...Korea gets announced 7th! Damn you announcers for stressing me out! But at least she's in!

Getting to know the contestants...Angola - "I am the face of HIV in my country"...Hmm....not sure that's the way you wanted to say what you meant, unless she's really HIV positive?...Korea - yeah, pimp that Carnegie Hall experience! And 4 CDs..you go girl!

Evening Gown competition...India - She got that "Yeah, I know I'm sexy look"...Japan - Very bold and original dress. I gotta admit, I like it!...Until she started showing off the "wings" every opportunity she got...Venezuela - Sultry, always a sure thing for the Top 10...USA - Oh no! She literally falls on her butt! But she gets up and finishes her catwalk with class. Yay! I feel so bad for her though...Korea - Looking beautiful and I like the dress. The bottom silky part reminds me of hanbok. Stunning!

Miss Photogenic - Phillipines...very pretty...Miss Congeniality - China! Wow, lots of Asians representin'!

Top 5 are...Venezuela, Korea, Brazil, USA, Japan...a very solid Top 5. Can't argue with any of those picks. Solid.

Here comes the all important interview...this is where you win or lose it...Venezuela's up first...hey translator! Wait till she's done talking!...Up next - Korea!

She draws...James Kyson Lee! How fitting! Question - If you could have one superpower, what would it be? Hmm...obviously tying in to his show Heroes. The translator is talking over the contestant again! Come on, wait till she's done before starting! Korea's answer - "My dream is to be a missionary so I would use all my power, money, etc. to help people." or something like that. Couldn't hear with the two voices at once. Hmmm....not the best answer. I'm getting worried. But then she adds in a joke "I wish I could have a wallet that doesn't dry up so I could help the needy". Nice add in and maybe saved her score a bit. But still, her answer was awkward and stilted. If she had started with the wallet joke, woulda been much better. That translator sucks too. You could tell she was nervous. Wish they had someone better. Korea's interview....not great, not terrible. I'm not smelling a win...

USA - The crowd is totally booing her. What the hell? Is it because they think she took Mexico's spot in the Top 5? Or is it politically motivated? Still, Mexican audience showing great lack of class to the USA girl. She's so pretty. And good for her for making the Top 5 after that disastrous spill.

Japan - Answer was not 100% related to the question (something about what lesson you learned as a kid you still remember now) but she answered with great confidence and poise. As Kramer says...it's all about POISE! She's got a great shot at winning since the winner is based solely on the interview answer at this point. Think about Brook Lee - "I would eat everything in the world! Twice!" Might as well have given her tiara at that point already. It was hers.

Okay, here's the top 5.

5 - USA
4 - Korea. Aw...disappointing, but I'm still proud of her. She did great.
3 - Venezuela. Wow, Japan's got a 50/50 chance!

2 - Brazil
1 - Japan! Wow, Japan's the winner. Not really shocked after she delivered her interview answer the best, but still...her scores in the preliminary rounds weren't the greatest. I guess Kramer was right!

Congratulations to Miss Japan! It's Japan's 2nd Miss Universe winner. I don't think Korea has won yet, but I do remember Korea finishing 2nd to Thailand in the late 80s.

Honey Lee did a great job as Miss Korea. I'm proud of her. She appears to be a very interesting, intelligent, and talented girl. Not to mention drop dead gorgeous. Hmm...I wonder if I can get her to appear at the Korean Festival this year? LOL

Overall, the pageant brodcast pretty much sucked. That musical act went on forever and Slater and TRL talked way too much. Thank goodness for DVR! I watched the whole 2 hour show in 40 minutes!

Give it up for Korea y'all!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. ‘Nother feather in the cap of Nihon’s international wins! First was World Baseball Championship, now this. Yay. Isn’t the sponsor charged with Ms. Universe’s formal wear over the coming year as well as the Ms. Universe crown maker from Japan as well? Sheesh.

I thought Honey Lee did a fantab’ job of representing Korea. Now . . . did I miss something in K-pop lore? I had no idea she was a singer and such. I liked her answer to the “final question” (did the broadcase fizz out in the middle of her answer, or was it just my TV?). Ms. Korea had a very modest, classy look of ‘em all. She was all-around, had it all. I was shocked when she came in, what, 3rd? Methink she shoulda’ won, and I’m wondering if Ms. Japan won because last year’s entry for Japan sorta’-kinda’ got shafted.

The booing of Ms. America – uncalled for, regardless of whether “they” were booing U.S. policy or even whether she deserved to be in the top 5. I understand that an announcement went out into the crowd, something along the lines of how the show was being televised around the world and that booing does not bide well for Mexico’s image.

Man (and, I’m just speaking for myself here), sometimes I feel so “aunty” when discussing pageants.

Was fun to watch. Really seemed “live” even though I almost saw, whilst channel surfing during commercials, the result on the CNN bottom of the screen ticker.

5/30/2007 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home