Monday, May 21, 2007

Thai Massage

Last week I went to get a massage for the first time in my life. A real massage by a professional. Although I had a few minor kinks in my muscles I wasn't particularly sore or anything but I just always had been curious about professional massages cuz everyone's always saying how good they feel after.

So based on a recommendation from a friend, I went to get Thai massage at Thai-Issan which is located on the 2nd floor at Samsung Plaza. Their address is 655 Keeaumoku Street, #204. They offer Thai massage, sports massage, deep tissue, rolfing (I have no idea what this is), lomi lomi, hot stone, and Swedish massage. I opted for the Thai massage which was $65 for an hour. You an also do it for 90 minutes for $90.

I walk in, and the ambience was as expected. Dimly lit, with soft music playing, and Oriental style furnishings. I was given the option of stripping down to my underwear or wearing one of their house shorts. Since I was wearing boxers, I just stayed in my skivvies since who knows who's worn those house pants.

Then the massage started with me lying on my front. Deep kneading of the back commenced. And I mean, really deep. Not to the point of painful, but pretty close. She also did this thing with hot stones at the same time. Then she had me turn over and proceeded with leg and arm massages. Man, she really stretched me out like Plastic Man. I guess also because I'm really flexible that she was really able to pull my limbs to their extremes. She would also put me in these kung fu grip / judo like positions, locking her arms and legs with mine and pulling me in all directions. That felt pretty good. I was amazed at how this tiny woman could have the strength she displayed.

After the massage was over, I got dressed and gave her a $10 tip. I have no idea what the going rate for massage tips is but I know you're supposed to give something so I figured $10 was good enough.

So what did I think? I have to admit...after the massage I did feel really loose, limber, and relaxed. But did I feel significantly better after the massage than I did prior to doing it? Not really. Maybe cuz I wasn't sore going in? Not sure. I was just expecting to feel like, "Whoa! That was awesome!" rather than "Good, but not great". Bottom line...did I feel $75 better after the massage? Can't say that I did so that means I probably won't be going to do it again. Maybe I'll try another type of massage next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger tabasco man said...

I think the "other" kind massages they have on Keeaumoku Street will make you say "Whoa! That was awesome!"

Ask WW for where he goes.

5/21/2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger Rob H said...

I thought you were once on the receiving end of an O'Farrell massage. So the rumor goes...

I'll occasionally go in for a legal one maybe once every year or two. When I did yoga (also infrequently) back in Cali, I thought the post-act sensation was comparable to a massage at a much cheaper rate. Again, I'm talking the legal variety, with no "happy ending." Big plus: chicks!

5/21/2007 9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, uh, lemme get this "straight" (yuk yuks) -- you basically ended up all . . . uh . . . aherm . . . well, like the Plastic Man pic shows . . . all Thai'd up.

Thanks folks, drive safely, don't forget to tip your mas . . . uh, waithelp! :)

5/22/2007 9:11 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

T-Man - WW won't tell me where the good places are. He doesn't want to share. I have to figure it out from the covert pics on his blog.

Orbs - Dammit! Why u gotta let the cat outta the bag? Everyone experiments in college! LOL

5/22/2007 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home