Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Keone'ula Elementary School Dedication Ceremony

I had the pleasure of attending the dedication ceremony for Keone'ula Elementary School yesterday. The ceremony started at 9:00am and featured several speakers including the Principal Eileen Hirota, Lt. Governor James Aiona, Mayor Mufi Hannemann, as well as a few other local politicians.

The crowd (including DOE staff, the architects, contractors, our team, etc.) gathers
Grades K, 1, and 4 perform Pearly Shells for the guests. That's the Royal Hawaiian Band in the background.
The school's Fife/Drum/Flag Corps performs
Ribbon cutting ceremony
The school's official logo
The best part by far was the food! All of it was prepared by the cafeteria manager (Daryl) himself and his staff in the school's kitchen! Only the pig was cooked elsewhere. I spoke to Daryl briefly and he said he reported in at 2am to prepare the feast. I seriously thought the food yesterday was better than the food at some weddings I've been to!

My favorite...roast pig! Complete with white buns with hoisin sauce! So yummy...
The salmon station. There were 2 salmon dishes offered. I forget the names of both of them but both were excellent.
Braised beef with sour cream and chicken breast bruschetta. There was also a soup offered which I didn't sample.
The dessert offerings - I think I had one of each!
I am pretty proud to have been a part of this project and was really glad to see the kids and teachers as well as community members really embrace this new school. I look forward to more projects like this in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home