Friday, May 04, 2007

Myong's Madness....1 Year Already!

Wow, looking for something on of my old posts, I just realized that this blog has already past the 1 year mark, with my first post being on 4/2/06. Man, does time fly by! I just spent the last 20 minutes reading all of my old posts and enjoyed reminiscing about my experiences in the past year. Can't say that it hasn't been fun!

Thanks to all of those who've read my posts and commented, as well as to those who choose to read anonymously. I was surprised to learn that this blog has had hits from places as far away as Seoul, Taipei, Malaysia, Istanbul, and Buenos Aires! I have no idea how these people find my little blog here, but thanks for visiting!

Well...I guess I should post something of any kind of meaningful content while I'm in here. Sorry I've been inactive here recently. 6 straight days of long nights will do that to a guy.

But anyway, I've spent the last week with some great guests from Korea and we've had some awesome times. During their stay, we were invited to dinner at both Sorabol and Seoul Garden. I believe I've eaten at Sorabol about 3 times in my life and was not impressed at any of those times. When we went to dinner there, there were about 6 of us and we ordered about 9 orders of meat to cook at our table. I assumed that the kimchee jjigae would come automatically with our meat order, as it does at other Korean restaurants. When I made a request to our waitress to bring the jjigae out right away since we were cold, she said that it had to be ordered separately and was not included with the meat orders.

Hah? She then went on to say (with a slight tone of condescension) that "Hawaii style" was different from "Korean style", meaning that Hawaiin Korean restaurants don't give free jjigae with meat orders like restaurants in Korea do. She said it like this cuz she assumed we were all from Korea. Well, then this local boy just had to point out to her that almost every other K-restaurant here DID offer free jjigae. I even pointed them out to her - Seoul Garden, Yakiniku Seoul, Mikawon, etc. She refused to believe me! She even implied that I probably misunderstood or made a mistake when I dined at those restaurants. I tell you, this young girl was not afraid to speak her mind.

Oh well...I could tell that I wasn't going to go anywhere with her since she refused to listen. As for the food, the saeng kalbi was admittedly pretty good, although the 2 orders in the middle (we first ordered 4, then 2, then 3 more) had an inferior quality compared to the rest.

I didn't pay the check so I didn't see the final bill but I'm assuming the 2 pots of jjigae were charged for.

Does anyone else have a similar experience at Sorabol? That was the first time that I ever came across something like that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate to say I told you so but...
Probably worst Korean restaurant when it comes to price, quality and service. Plus too much MSG.

5/04/2007 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 1st b-day to Myong's Madness, Mr! Great topics, good foods informations. You going have 1st b-day luau or what? Heh.

I like Sorabol. Sorry, but, I can't complain about the service at all; those ladies are on the ball (the male, who is that, server, twice instructed me on how to eat a certain thing, for which I was appreciative; not that I wouldn't have known how anyways :).

For me, Korean food, well, wasn't exactly a type of category that was offered in ye olde household growing up. What I know of Korean food is take-out and dine-out, and, so, I guess I don't have an entire faculty to gauge what is good Korean food and what is not good (Japanese food, now tha's a different story to mention).

That all having been said, what's good and what's not good regarding Korean food, well, I know some folks who do and they basically say Sorabol's somewhere in the middle (not to me, though; I love it, ichiban and such from my POV). I would think they'd have to have some kind of quality -- I mean isn't that where Korean celebs are taken when they come to visit Hawaii?

The only complaint I have 'bout Sorabol is that they charge for a second soft drink. Yeah, no free refills there. Methinks they need to get with the rest of the world regarding that, 'specially since The Man don't drink alch's.

5/07/2007 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home