Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia Tech Tragedy

As you all know by now, there was a terrible massacre at the Virginia Tech campus yesterday when a student shot and killed 32 people and then killed himself. The killer has now been identified as a 23 year old student, Cho Seung Hui. Wow...what could drive a person to kill so many in cold blood?

Worse yet, how could the school and authorities allow the 2nd shooting to happen? The second shooting, and the more deadlier one, occurred about 2 hours after the initial shooting. Is the school's alert system that slow? If I read correctly, Cho shot and killed 2 people in the dormitory in the morning before moving on to the classrooms 2 hours later. Couldn't the school have sent out an alert within that 2 hour span? Tell everyone to go home and stay there till further notice or something like that? Or did they discover the initial shooting too late? I don't know...it's just so tragic. I feel terribly for the victims and their families.

This guy was obviously disturbed. His creative writing essays led his teachers to tell him to go under counseling and the note he left behind was full of irrational grievances.

I just hope that this doesn't lead to some sort of unnecessary backlash against the Korean students on campus as well as Korean communities nationwide. KAC-DC is currently preparing a statement to release to the press but I wonder how this will affect the image of Koreans.

UPDATE: Here's a link to his 2 plays that he wrote. Some pretty twisted stuff.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More than any time in my life, certain things on the TV screen has made me unable to hold back tears. And this was no exception. I had planned to not watch any of the coverage of the situation I’d heard throughout the day. I turned on that television and, man, the tears started streaming. Just an unbelievable situation. I didn't even eat dinner last night, was so darn preoccupied with this situation.

I never thought I’d say I’m anything less than a UH Warrior, and proud of that. Yesterday and for a while (and I hope I’m not borrowing too much from 09/11/01; then, again, yesterday was college’s own 09/11), and I know I’m not alone in this and I’m not trying to be funny: I think we’re all VT Hokies.

More than anything else, we should be worrying about those fighting for their lives, all of the families of the victims, and the VT community. My prayers and heart goes out.

4/17/2007 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They sent out email. How backwards is that in a time of emergency? You have to remember that the campus is huge, the size of Kailua and it's spread far apart. You would think they would have sirens and announcements on speakers but who would have foreseen something as tragic as this?

Through tragedies like 911 and kidnapping of a girl named Amber, our country learns and progresses making it a safer and better world for the future. Wish society and government could learn to be proactive instead of reactive but you know the old saying if it ain't broke no need to fix.

I don't think there will be a backlash against Korean community if anything the Korean community will be harder on themselves. You know the 'woori' mentality and how ingrained it is.

4/17/2007 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take back the no backlash part. It's starting to happen on the east coast.

4/18/2007 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home