Saturday, June 02, 2007

I Got a HD-DVD Player!!! Somebody Stop Me!!!

Well...it happened again...another impulse buy. I just can't resist these electronic toys! I've been doing some reading about HD-DVDs but wasn't really seriously considering buying one...especially because they are in the midst of a Betamax v. VHS type war between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. It's still up in the air as to which format will prevail.

But as I was doing my reading, I came across news that Toshiba HD-DVD players were now selling for $299.99! That's the lowest it's ever been! Not to mention there is a mail in offer for 5 free HD-DVDs as well! So I caved and stopped by Best Buy today to grab me one. I also picked up a HD-DVD as well cuz you can't just hook it up and have nothing to watch, right? So I got a copy of Letters from Iwo Jima. I have a history of doing this. I've always been a sucker for technology. When DVD players first came out, I was one of the first ones to buy one and spent almost $400 on my player!!!

So I get home and did all the necessary hook ups and rearranging of my home theater system. Luckily, I already had a HDMI cable (optimal video/audio hookup) which I was using to connect my cable box to my TV so I just switched that to the new Toshiba player and returned my cable box to its original component cable connection. I also already had a optical audio cable (optimal audio hookup) to my current all region Philips player so I swapped that with my HD-DVD player and am now using a coaxial audio connection for my Philips which I still need to play region coded DVDs and downloaded files. So after about 30 minutes of bending over and playing with wires, I was done!
I popped in the Letters of Iwo Jima DVD and waited for the greatness. It took a little time to start up but I believe there's firmware updates available that eliminate this problem. But once the movie started....wow! Amazing picture clarity. I have a 46" rear projection TV and the movie looked great on it. The movie itself wasn't too good (I got bored throughout) but I just spent the entire film's length noticing all the fine details in the picture. I am amazed.

So now that I bought this new toy, I guess I can't get that
Helio Ocean! Cuz I'm also gonna be spending a doo-doo load on HD-DVDs now! I can't wait! The sad thing is, I hardly even watch movies at home anymore but I just couldn't resist!

4 Comments:

Blogger tabasco man said...

Awesome!

I am so far behind in technology, it's not even funny.

So there is a big difference, huh?

6/02/2007 6:39 AM  
Blogger Sang Park said...

you'll love your player. I have the *original* HD-A1 and it's clunkiness glory...still...amazing pictures! Jet Li's Fearless looks great on HD-DVD as well as Children of Men and The Departed. I don't have Matrix Trilogy but I assume it looks pretty spectacular. Have you tried regular DVDs yet? It upconverts them well...try comparing picture comparison between Philips player and you'll see what I mean.

6/02/2007 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't consider having researched then went and just darn got out and bought the thing an "impulse buy," (cripes, if that was the case, most of the watches I own [high-end, mind you, just like like my nose] would be "impulse" buys (OK, OK, so, actually, just one or two in my conservative-sized collection were impulse buys. OK, three, but that's it) so, you're perfectly OK with this purchase, Mr. Myong. Congrats (as the HD-DVD Player's instruction manual'd similarly begin, eh?)!

And you want the Helio, too? Whooh, time to get thee to a filthy rich man's daughter and begin date here: ___________.

6/04/2007 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new HD-DVD player. Can't believe how much they dropped since the 2nd generation models were first released. I must of brought one of the first HD-A2 models to hit Hi at BB for the $499 price. I had a 12% off coupon and some BB reward $$. After taxes it was just under $400. I
decided to wait for the 2nd generation models. I even purchased 10 hd-dvds before I picked up the HD-A2. Just can't believe how much they have come down in price since late Nov or early Dec when the 2nd generation models were released. My Ultimate Matrix Collection is on the way. Picked it up brand new from Amazon.com Market Place for $51. Hope you enjoy your new toy.

6/05/2007 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home