Friday, July 06, 2007

First Negative Reaction!

I went to a volunteer's meeting for the Korean Festival yesterday and there were quite a bit of people there and I talked with a few. Most were pretty excited and enthusiastic about next Saturday's event but one lady really had me at a loss for words.

As readers of this blog, you all know that I've been spending a lot of my time making arrangements for the 2 stars (Lee Ki Chan, Wax) to come and perform at the Festival. It's been a lot of headaches, late night phone calls, negotiations, etc. But I didn't mind at all cuz it was for a good cause. Then yesterday, this elderly woman starts talking to me about the singers. These are the kinds of things she said to me:

"Why are you bringing Wax? She's not popular at all!"
"No one knows who that is"
"To be honest, I don't think she sings well at all. She's not talented like Ivy"

Very honestly, I was speechless. I literally couldn't think of a word to say. Not only because I disagreed with everything she said, but also because after all the time I've spent on this project (of course, she didn't know that so it's not her fault) it was a little discouraging to hear that kind of negative response. Nah, but I have a thick skin so it didn't bother me that much but for some reason, I didn't know how to reply to her statements so I think I just said something like "Well, the reaction so far has been pretty positive."

I don't know what planet that lady is from but she's got things all wrong. I've been speaking to tons of people (old, young, male, female) since the announcement of the singers cuz I wanted to get a vibe on the feedback. I'd say that out of every 10, 8 recognized who Wax was and 5 or 6 recognized Lee Ki Chan. Wax is actually the performer that most people are looking forward to, by both females and males.

Anyways...I didn't let her comments really bother me cuz everyone's entitled to their opinions but I was surprised at myself for not being able to think of something better to say in return. Oh well....

3 Comments:

Blogger 808marv said...

You could have told her "you know what I'd rather have two Korean singers that are lesser known and SHOW UP TO PERFORM, unlike some other bigger Korean stars who cancel out of concerts at the last second after people paid big bucks for his tickets. And by the way what's the cost of the Korean Festival again? Uh-huh. You will watch Wax and Lee Ki-chan and you will LIKE IT!"

Of course you might get a purse upside your head, but that's what you *could have* told her. ;-)

7/06/2007 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In situations like that it's han mal-ee an na wa yo for me too. My eyes just get bigger like wtf?!

What an ingrate. You were the better person to not say anything plus you mentioned she was old so just think that she's a mindless chan sori halmohnee.

Good work! We're all looking forward to the Festival.

7/06/2007 3:31 PM  
Blogger drknkook said...

You jacked my name....My name is also Myong Choi

7/07/2007 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home