Monday, December 24, 2007

Dinner at Yanagi

Took my parents to Yanagi Sushi for their anniversary the other night. Hadn't gone there for a while, although I did lunch there earlier this year. Originally, our first choice was Suzuki Japanese Restaurant in Kaimuki, but turns out they're closed on Wednesdays so Yanagi it was since we were all craving sushi.

Went the ala carte route this time instead of the teishoku style. Although that would've been pretty affordable (2 choice dinner for $19 and I think 3 choice dinner for $24). Not bad! But we felt like eating sushi and trying different kinds of things.

The tsukemono to start you off. I don't know what that black stuff in the middle is but I love it!
Here is the toro, hamachi, and mirugai
The toro was super fresh and I believe $15 per order of 2 pieces. Well worth it. When I ordered it, the waiter asked if we wanted Hawaii toro or Japanese toro. I asked him what the difference was and believe it or not, his answer was "the Japanese one is more expensive". Uh...okay. What the hell...we went with the Japanese toro. The hamachi was also excellent and mouth melty. I love it when they give you a big slab of raw fish! I didn't try the mirugai but my parents both enjoyed that as well.

Then came the unagi (not pictured). This, I was a little disappointed in. As we were enjoying the first batch of sushi, I could smell a slight burning smell coming from the sushi bar, which we were sitting right in front of. Turns out, it was the unagi they were burning as they were heating it up. As soon as I popped the unagi in my mouth, I could smell and taste the slightest hint of burning. The eel itself and the sauce were very good, but they just overdid it on the cooking of the eel.

Also had an order of shrimp tempura, which also came with some pieces of vegetable tempura. Good, but not the best I've had. Still, very tasty and the shrimp portion was adequate.
Mmm...misoyaki butterfish. The portion was a little undersized for its price (around $10) but the sauce was good as was the fish. The best I've had so far has to be Ideta restaurant.
Fried chicken wings. Tasty! I ate 5 out of the 6 pieces, I think! ^^;;;
Seafood dynamite. Not a fan of the dynamite dish no matter where the restaurant. But my dad wanted to try this dish. Took one bite and yeah, same reaction. Bleah. If you're a fan of the dish, you may like it. I just don't like the whole concept of the dish.
Overall, it was a very enjoyable meal, especially the sushi. And as always, the place was packed, even on a midweek night! Reservations are highly suggested.

3 Comments:

Blogger tabasco man said...

That toro and hamachi look supa good! Last time I went there I had the soft shell crab. Winnahs!

If I was rich like you, I would go there more often.

12/24/2007 10:24 PM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Hah! I wish! I promise you, I spend more than I earn! LOL

12/25/2007 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The black thing in the middle is kelp. I love that too. You can buy that at Shirokiya in ban chan like serving containers. Yanagi is always packed even later on in the evening.
The owners are Korean right?

12/27/2007 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home