Friday, June 16, 2006

Shokudo - Pretty good!

I went to Shokudo for dinner last night for my dad's birthday. I gotta admit...I like this place! In fact, last night was the 3rd time I went there in the last 3 months.

The atmosphere is pleasant and the service is above average. And the food came out very quickly, literally less than 5 minutes after we ordered. How the hell?

While admittedly everything didn't taste amazing, there were indeed a few dishes that stood out. The pork cutlet was pretty damn good and the thing that I liked about it was that they sliced the cutlet before breading it so each piece has a full breaded coating around it. That was the first time I'd ever seen that and I was trippin' cuz it was so cool and original.

The chiken karaage was good too. Lightly battered, juicy, and accompanied by a spicy creamy sauce. Yummy.

And you gotta eat the tofu salad. Ono. I think their tofu is homemade but wherever it came from, it's good.

On the down side, the sushi was just so so. Rainbow Roll was okay but Spider Roll was pretty bland and junk. They put too much rice in their rolls. Also, the seafood dynamite was a little too mayonnaisey and the cheese mochi gratin was more interesting than delicious. Also beware that if you order a rice bowl on the side, the bowl is frickin' huge, enough for 2 to share.

Overall, I've enjoyed my meal the last 3 times I've been here and it's also reasonably priced considering you're eating Japanese food. I was gonna take pics but when I got to the restaurant, I realized that the dica's battery was dead so no go. Sorry, next time!

4 Comments:

Blogger Gee Why said...

Glad you liked Shokudo. We had a mixed experience the last time we went there. I took down my pics but the post and comments are still available.

6/18/2006 5:53 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Yeah, I just spoke to a friend who went there for lunch yesterday and she said the service was horrible. The waitress brought out their first 2 dishes within 5 minutes, but then they had to wait over 15 minutes for the rest of their order.

It got to the point where they got fed up and left and asked the server to pack up the remaining order in a doggy bag. She said she heard the waitress apologize to other tables for the delay (apparently there was some problem in the kitchen) but no apology was offered to her table.

She said she's never going back there again. Luckily, I've yet to experience this kind of bad service there but if I did, it would definitely turn me off too.

6/18/2006 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's the current spot to eat when me and the fellas have no ideas or can't agree on a place for dinner.

Though, I gotta' say, nothing but good service when we've gone, and that was from the get-go. I even went out of my way to let the manager know. I think Shokudo just started doing lunch, so, maybe they're still trying to work out the kinks. No excuse, but, still, I mean, start up days and all.

Rockaku at Ala Moana's pretty good. And right now, for Chinese food, kinda' hard to beat Mandalay right now (where the old Yong Sing used to reside) -- that place, I was impressed; they really spruced up the joint. Moderately priced ('cept for that shark fin soup -- which I thought was illegal to serve; but, it's on the Mandalay menu -- at [sitting down] 40-something bucks per bowl. Man, for that price? The fin better be movin' around to the Jaws theme coming outta' mini Bose speaker, or a mini-shark better hop outta' the soup and start doing a dance and song like that Warner Bros. cartoon frog in the top hat and cane. Heh, though, I think that kinda' thing's expensive wherever you go.

6/19/2006 9:06 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

I went to Mandalay for lunch a few weeks ago and had dim sum. The food was definitely good, but too pricey for me. I eat dim sum with my dad every Saturday at Good Luck Chinese Restaurant at the Chinese Cultural Plaza and their dim sum dishes are all under $2. Plus, they give you 4 pork hash per serving instead of 3. What a bargain!

The prices at Mandalay for dim sum however, were all about $3-$4. Too high for dim sum. Nice atmosphere, good service, good food, but too expensive.

6/19/2006 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home