Sunday, October 29, 2006

UH Football is Getting Expensive!

I went to my first UH football game of the season tonight to see the Warriors play the Idaho Vandals. It was an exciting game with lots of UH action and the Warriors pummeled the Vandals 68-10.

I didn't want to buy tickets beforehand cuz I wanted to check out the scalping scene to see if I could get a deal. I checked online and discovered that tickets were going for $38 sideline, $32 South end zone, and $27 North end zone. Wow! Expensive, yeah? So I sauntered on over to the area near the ticket office to see what kind of deal I could pull.

First off, most of the people selling the tix were the type that you'd be afraid to see coming at you at night on an isolated street. Hell, I'd be scared to see these guys in a crowded mall in daylight! But I gotta get tix right? Hmm...I've always wondered...how are these people getting so many tickets for each game, and in premium seats too? A question for another day....

So I went over to the first guy, and he refused to sell any ticket for less than face value. Yeah, good luck with that buddy! I went to the next big local dude I saw carrying tix. I was with my dad so I needed 2 seats. He offered 2 50 yard line seats (section K) in the orange for $75. Yeah, right! I countered with $50 (face value for the two being $76). I wanted to sit in good seats cuz I was now spoiled by the luxury box experience in San Francisco so end zone seats were out of the question. Anyway, when he heard $50 coming out of my mouth, I swear I thought he was gonna hit me. He gave me a real dirty look and told me I should look elsewhere. I then gave him the "Hey, come on! I'm doing YOU a favor by taking them off your hands! Game's gonna start soon and you're gonna be stuck with them!" He brushed me off. So I then countered with $60. He still said no. His partner next to him (an even bigger guy) then asked his friend what seats I was trying to buy. He told him and the bigger guy was all like "No way we going sell those for $60! Go buy your tickets someplace else!"

Getting desperate, I offered $70, which he finally accepted. So I saved a whopping $6. But you know what? I still think I made out. If I had went the legit way and bought my tix at the box office, I woulda been standing in line for at least 20 minutes and I more than likely woulda bought 2 South endzone seats (so I can face the scoreboard) for $64. The way I looked at it, I saved the time and hassle of waiting in line, and got way better seats in the process. Did I get had and could I have found a better deal elsewhere? Perhaps. Bah. Whatevahs.

So after spending $70 on cover charge, we found our seats and they were excellent! Literally 50 yard line, in the orange section, 2 rows from the top orange row. I've been to Aloha Stadium many times and this was the best seat I've ever had there (except for empty Pac-5 football games) so I was pretty stoked.

Then, of course you gotta eat, right? We smuggled in 2 homemeade spam musubi but of course that's not enough. Started off with a beer ($5.50), a large soda ($3.50), and nachos ($5.75). That's $14.75 off the bat. Wow, all of a sudden I'm feeling like Rachael Ray trying to spend less than $40 a day. That got us through the 1st quarter. We then ate our musubi at the beginning of the 2nd.

At halftime, I wanted to buy some fried noodles but they were all sold out so just got Cinnabites ($5.50), a coffee ($1.50), and a mochachino frappacino whatevahs ($5.50). That was a really stupid purchase. I only drank about half, it was so damn sweet (like me ^_^). So that was another $12.50.

So you throw in another $5 for parking and you're looking at a tab of $102.25 for the night. And I didn't even get any action out of it! (Kidding!) I may be a dollar off here or there but you get the point.

But you know what? I really don't mind spending money if what it was spent on was thoroughly enjoyed. I had a great time at the game, got to spend some QT with my dad, and had some decent food (although I do regret the mocha frappahwhatevahs). So I blew a Benjamin tonight. No biggie, cuz I had a good time and that's all good.

Note: But it would've been a lot better if I had the balls to lay the 26 points! (For amusement only of course!)

1 Comments:

Blogger TChahng said...

Haha! I bet one of the scalpers was my classmate from Aiea! I saw "Rocky" near the box office when I went to the Hawaii Bowl in 2003.
"What brah, get ticket?" "Get already." "Okay, enjoy." Da bugga nevah change.

11/02/2006 3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home