Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I Don't See the Difference!

So my HDMI cable finally arrived from Amazon yesterday and I promptly hooked it up from my cable box to my TV. I wasn't expecting a world of difference like I did when I first laid my eyes on the beauty that is HD, but from what I had read, I was at least anticipating a noticable difference.

So I disconnect my current connection (component cables) and hooked up the HDMI. I turn on the HD channels....nothing. I can't tell a damn difference. Can any of the experts out there what difference I'm supposed to be noticing? Everything I read says that HDMI is the optimal connection and is better than component cables, yet I can't tell.

I didn't go for the "name" HDMI cuz those cost around $100 but went for a cheaper $36 alternative. But then again, I read that it doesn't really matter unless you're using it for a long run. My run is only a matter of a few feet.

Well, since it's hooked up with HDMI, I'll just leave it like how it is with the new connection but I really wish I would've seen at least a little better picture. Don't get me wrong, the picture is fabulous, but I just thought that the upgrade would produce visible results.

4 Comments:

Blogger 808marv said...

I don't have HDMI, but I have read that there is not much difference until you start getting the high-end monitors/TVs and put it on the higher resolution settings.

This thread has some good info.

Glad you didn't pay extra for the big name cables. Most of the time that doesn't make a difference either.

11/02/2006 1:39 PM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Thanks for the info and link, mace. I have a 46" projection TV and I guess the change in cable doesn't make a difference on sets like mine.

That's cool, since the pic I have is great anyways.

11/02/2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger Gee Why said...

Myong, quick question since I may be in the market for a new TV. What resolution is your TV? 720 or 1080, i or p? So many new things to learn!

11/03/2006 2:05 PM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

pretty sure my tv is 1080i cuz that's the setting i leave it on.

11/03/2006 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home