Monday, April 02, 2007

One Shining Moment....20 Years!

Well, March Madness is over and Florida has become the first repeat champion since the Christian Laettner Duke teams in the 90s. Wow, it must suck to be Ohio State right now, losing the national championship to Florida in both football AND basketball.

I have to say that this year's tournament was not too memorable overall. No Cinderella teams, very few game winning baskets, too many higher seeds winning by too big of margins. A very boring tournament. There were no inidividuals that really stuck out either, besides the obvious Oden, Hibbert, Noah, Afflalo, etc. Where's the Adam Morrison bawling on the court? Where's the Tyus Edney (edited - Thanks Tabasco Man!) game winning coast to coast layup? Where's the drama? There was none!

But as much as a March Madness freak that I am, my favorite part has always been when they show highlights of the tournament to the song "One Shining Moment" at the very end of the broadcasts. That has got to be the best sports songs ever. CBS announcer Jim Nantz calls it the "anthem of college basketball". I just love how they match the clips from CBS's great camerawork to the lyrics as you relive the tournament's best moments over again. It literally gives me chicken skin and even a tear on occassion. Yeah, you read that right! I've actually teared to "One Shining Moment" here and there. What can I say? That song really moves me!

Anyway, 2007 is the 20th anniversary of this wonderful song, written by David Barrett. I've always liked his version of the song, as well as Teddy Pendergrass's version. Not too much a fan of Luther Vandross's version (the current one). When I was in college, I used to keep a videotape of just the "One Shining Moment" clips from every year. I think I had that tape up to 5 years or so and then I lost it when I moved back to Hawaii.

But I found this great blog site that has youtube videos of all the "One Shining Moment" from 1997 until 2006. Take the time to go through all of the clips, it's just awesome if you're a college basketball fan, reliving some of the greatest March Madness moments.

Here's the blog with the videos: One Shining Moment Blog

4 Comments:

Blogger tabasco man said...

Yeah, I like that song and clips as well. Never taped them though, you're hardcore.

Not to be picky, but I believe your reference to Baron Davis, is of Tyus Edney's coast-to-coast game winning layup against Missouri in the second round of the '95 Tournament. UCLA went on to win their 11th National Title that year.

4/03/2007 7:24 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Ooh...you're right! It was Edney. You would know, of course. Didn't Baron have a game winning shot in the tournament too, though?

4/03/2007 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For my tastes, we need a sports channel with no announcers. Maybe one of the producers to voice over what’s happening with an injured player who just got taken into the locker room, or better yet, let us know with a marquee at the bottom of the screen. Think about it – where do you go if you’re absotively jonesing for sports news? You go to the radio, newspaper, magazines. The info’s just noise and at worst and at best only serves to induce your GF watching ‘long with you to add comment (i.e., ANNOUNCER: “So-and-so taking care of business in the classroom too with a 4.9087727 GPA.” GF: “Wow! Smart guy, yeah?” Me: “[thinking] ‘yeah, yeah, smart, hon’, SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I CAN’T EVEN HEAR MYSELF WATCH THE GAME!!!!’).

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to make trouble, but, the lambaste-class encroaching of canned bumper instrumentation (not talkin’ ‘bout the school bands, mind you –in fact, what I AM saying is WE DON’T HEAR ENOUGH OF ‘EM! And I wasn’t even a band person in school!), maybe it’s not supposed to be noticeable, just act as a transition, but, it’s irritating to me. And, those montages, those “let’s take a look at this überrific season to the tune of so-and-so. Sound good? OK, yeah, let’s do that right now.” Hey, here’s me in charades game as TV exec’ – “hey, heh, guys, heh, let’s NOT look at the season like this,” at least not to the tune of what they choose. When these student-athletes are going through training, they probably got Rammstein, or something like that going through their head if not their IPOD, not something that sounds like it’s in constant rotation on your local quiet storm station. I think if any network has it slightly right it’s NBC’s Sunday football show, with their John Williams, eps I-III-like orchestrations. THAT sounds good.

And another thing: I can’t stand the truck commercials with their hyperbolics and borrowed rock tunes (all of which backfires when it comes to me since I base all that solely on my decision to NEVER buy a vehicle from the automakers of which I have in mind.

No, didn’t get up on the wrong side of the bed. I’m a morning person. Fact, the points above’s what I been thinkin’ for a while. Church.

P.S., Mr. Choi . . . heh, funny, funny 04/01 joke over at the other board. Now THAT’s a funny Ap’ fool’s joke.

4/03/2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger Gee Why said...

I think you can find some previous One Shining Moments on YouTube. You can also get higher quality videos from 1987 to the present from iTunes for $25.

I thought there was some excitement this year. No Cinderallas to be sure, but lots of game tying shots and overtime games.

Ohio State themselves had their share of moments where the theme of survive and advance was true. Ron Lewis' game tying three and Mike Conley Jr. taking over in overtime.

No individuals stood out cause I think there's great parity in the college ranks now. Teams from any conference can compete and have good players. If you let down against guys like Wintrhop, you'll get burned. And I think individual players can no longer carry a team to a championship ala Danny Manning. The team is where it's at and Florida's victory reiterates that. The individuals jump to the NBA so less marquee college players are left. Durant and Oden are sure to go sooner rather than later.

4/03/2007 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home