Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Birthday Binge

It was my birthday this past Monday (34! Yikes!) and as usual, I pigged out. Sigh!

My parents took me to Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab for a late breakfast. It was unusually empty for a holiday morning.

I had my usual, "Da Pake" Moco ($7.95), a variation on the loco moco with lup chong and charsiu instead of the usual hamburger steak. Covered with an egg (your choice of style - I always get mine over easy), and smothered in gravy. Put a few dollops of Tabasco on there, and you're good to go! Yummy!
My mom had the French Toast Platter ($8.50) which comes with 2 slices of sweet bread French toast along with 2 eggs and 2 bacon.
My dad his usual, the "Hawaii's Very Best" ($9.95), an absolute feast of a breakfast. Comes with 2 eggs (seemed like 4!), bacon, portuguese sausage, Spam, and homemade corned beef hash. Enough to feed 2! (bacon not seen cuz they forgot it and brought it separately later)

Then for dinner, my folks prepared some of my favorite foods as they do every year.

If you're Korean, you gotta have seaweed soup on your birthday.
Fried chicken...Chicken Alice's style!
Japchae, Korean style noodles
And finally, tangsooyook, Korean-Chinese version of sweet sour pork. My dad usually makes it with vegetables such as carrots, cucumber, and onions mixed in but I told him no need since it was just us and never need make fancy. I never eat the veggies anyway! ^_^
Topped it all off with some chantilly cake...and I was stuffed! Okay, I am officially done eating for the week!

6 Comments:

Blogger Wayne's World said...

Happy Birthday! Gotta celebrate this Thursday!

9/05/2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger Sang Park said...

Happy birthday, my online friend! Well, if your parents haven't said already, I'll ask what's probably in their mind...when are you gonna get married so that you can give your parents grandkids!!?!!! :) :) My younger brother turned 36 this year, and as soon as that topic comes out he dashes out the door, never to be seen for another year...

9/06/2007 5:51 AM  
Blogger Angry Asian Girl said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Mmm, mmm...Love chantilly cake.

9/06/2007 6:31 AM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!

sangsama - yeah, no kidding. it seems like each year i get older the number of times i get asked about when i'm gonna get married increases exponentially!

9/06/2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger 808marv said...

Happy Birthday! Man your family can GRIND eh, all three of those ono looking breakfasts look like they would cause an immediate nap (heart? ;-) ) attack. I still have to try Sam Choy's for breakfast. I miss Chicken Alice...anyone else on Oahu make it as good?

And yeah the marriage question, ugh. I can relate. Just ran into a female classmate from high school while shopping recently, she married another classmate and they have kids. It was a pleasant conversation until she asked "so...no wife yet?" I'm like "oh look at the time gotta go nice seeing you again!" and made a beeline for the register. :-P

9/07/2007 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seng il choo ka ham nee da Oppa!

I love tangsooyook! Have you tried the Chinese/Korean place on South King Street? Your dad's dish looks just as good though.

People are so strange these days, (just watch Marriage Clinic with parents haha) and they'll be glad you're single ROFL.

9/11/2007 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home