Sunday, October 21, 2007

Korea - Day 4

Despite the late night, had to get up early again to drive out to Dong Du Cheon. My dad wanted to go eat 떡갈비 (dduk kalbi) so away we went. We departed at around 10:30am cuz it was a far drive.

The restaurant. The sign says Song Wol Gwan Dduk Kal Bi
반찬 (side dishes)
The dduk kal bi. It's like they take kalbi meat and then chop and grind it real fine so it's almost like hamburger steak.
Was it good? Yeah, pretty good. That slab of meat you see above cost $20. I don't know if it's worth the drive out there though. An hour and a half to get there and 2 hours to get back. I pretty much spent my whole day in the car. What a waste of time. I don't think I'll ever take the trip out there again.

At night, I got invited to watch a musical starring Wax, the singer who appeared at our latest Korean Festival. It's called "Fixing My Makeup", the title of her most well known hit song. It was her first foray into acting and I was lucky enough to catch her premiere performance.

The musical was in DaeHakRo, a college town known for its many theaters. There are over 130 theaters in this small area and is a very cool place to check out.

Huh?
Poster for the musical
It was held at the Live Theater which seats about 200 people.
What did I think of the musical? It was really good! The story was similar to the movie "You've Got Mail" and the production was really well done. Wax was very natural in her first attempt at acting and her singing of course was amazing. The musical was written especially for her and features a number of her hit songs mixed into the story. When she sang "Fixing My Makeup", I literally got chicken skin. She's that good. The musical just started this week and will run until the end of February 2008. If you ever have the opportunity to come to Korea during that time, I highly recommend watching this musical. I thought it was 10 times better than the lame Lion King. But if you do go, be sure to go on a Sunday cuz that's the only day she performs. It would be weird to see another actress singing Wax's songs.

After the show, had dinner in the area with some of the cast and some friends.

Tried 막걸리(makgulli or rice wine) for the first time. It was really good! But my friends told me to drink it slowly or else otherwise you won't recognize your own parents in the morning. Warning well taken!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home