Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Spidey 3 Teaser is Up!

After viewing the teaser, I'm already waiting for this film. While I was disappointed with the 2nd film (although everyone else seemed to like it), I'm anxiously looking forward to the 3rd installment mainly because of they're bringing back classic Spidey storylines. Primarily...Venom! I wonder how they're gonna explain the black costume though. In the comics, Spidey picked up the black costume on an alien world during the Secret Wars saga. That black costume actually turned out to be an alien symbiote that was trying to take over Peter Parker's body. The alien costume later merged with Eddie Brock to form Venom. Eddie Brock in the film will be played by Topher Grace.

The film will also introduce the Gwen Stacy character who played an important part in Spidey lore. Gwen Stacy was Peter Parker's first love and she died at the hands of the Green Goblin.

Also, in addition to Venom, there will be the villain Sandman played by Thomas Haden Church (Sideways). He's a classic Spiderman villain and his CGI in the teaser looks great. There also appears to be another Green Goblin who I'm assuming is Harry Osborn (James Franco).

In any case, this teaser looks way cool.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I got that Secret Wars issue; got all of 'em, actually. Should be in near-mint to mint condition the way I left it. Gotta go get that CBG graded if the black costume's gonna be prominent in the Spidey III movie.

Way I remember it, Marvel had the notion to give Spidey a makeover via the new black costume. The planet on which all these Marvel heroes are battling -- in what I actually thought was a lackluster mini-series considering all the hype surrounding Secret Wars; NO excuse, Frank Miller's Wolverine mini-series ('nother one I have in mint condition . . . hmmm) -- provided wonderful alien technology/alien machinery. Oh, yeah, like NONE of these heroes ever ran into that in their own respective titles. I remember one Secret Wars planet device allowed Capt. America to repair his damaged vibranium/adamantium shield (what???? Say it ain't so; yep, it happened. I think it happened a second time, too, a few years ago) by just thinking about it.

Similarly, following a battle, Spidey's costume was all ripped up and/or he ran out of webshooters. He met up with that "choose your own imagination" machine and out popped this sorta' black rubber ball. The ball blows up and expands and engulfs Spidey. Imagine that! This ALIEN symbiote managed to provide a huge white spider emblem on his chest, long with the same-shaped eyes from his costume! Smahhht machine, eh? Can read your thoughts! Acutally seemed promising -- Parker no longer had to worry about his webshooters running out of fluid because the symbiote costume allowed unlimited webbing. If I'm not mistaken, the whole costume was bulletproof, too . . . and, if I'm stretching my memory on a limb, didn't the costume allow him to fly sometimes, too?

Anyhoo, none of this mattered once Spidey fans, from the die-hard to the casual, yelled foul. WE WANT THE NEW COSTUME BACK/IT JUST AIN'T SPIDEY WITHOUT IT sentiment. I supposed such primary colors on a hero cannot be funked with (heck, I can't see Kikaida done any other way, can you?). Heck, I loved the new costume (my fav' color is black, you see).

Yeah, so, this is the kind of thing that accorded the Spidey black costume. Yeah, good, yeah? Yeah, right. I dunno, you be the judge. The 12-issue series MUST be available in some trade paperback form.

When all's said and done, with the advent of Venom -- which actually IS one of Marvel's best villainous creations -- I think Marvel did a great job of salvaging a concept that they could've just sent down the same avenue that they did the New Universe (yeah, you remember THAT one, don't you?) and other "filler" villains from their titles.

6/28/2006 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home