Thursday, November 02, 2006

Gymkata on DVD!

Who else is gonna get Gymkata? This is pure 80s cheesy action fun! I can't say I loved this movie, but I also can't say that I wasn't entertained by it either.

"The skill of gymnastics, the kill of karate" - You gotta love that tag line! For those who don't know, the movie stars US Olympic gymnastics champion Kurt Thomas and he has to compete in a "game" in a made up European country in order for the US to do some political maneuvering. The "game" consists of a race where contestants must fight various opponents as well as their fellow competitors in order to advance. Kurt Thomas, being a gymnastics guy, of course incorporates his gymnastic skills to invent....gymkata! How can you not love that?

That also reminds me of another US Olympic gymnast movie called American Anthem starring Mitch Gaylord and Mrs. Wayne Gretzky Janet Jones. This movie is pure 80s cheese as well, with the underdog "rebel" hero with the loser dad and the "woe is me" life story who pulls it all together at the end to succeed, also while bagging the babe. I remember my sister and I watching this movie all the time on HBO.

Hmm...looks like it's time for me to build up my cheesy 80s action DVD stockpile! Gotta go get me some No Retreat, No Surrender, Action Jackson, and The Last Dragon! Or...you can check out this website.

2 Comments:

Blogger 808marv said...

So did you preorder? ;-) I can't believe the price right now is $13.99, must be because it's rare.

You gotta read one of the reviews for it on Amazon called "A Carefuly Scripted & Subtle Cold War Commentary", hilarious stuff!

11/03/2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Myong Choi said...

yeah, i saw that review. i'm hoping it was intentionally written that way and the guy's not serious.

either way, pretty funny.

11/03/2006 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home