Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Living Tarot

After having dinner at Mediterraneo, I went to check out "The Living Tarot", another production by the IONA Dance Company. This was my 2nd Iona event, after last year's fundraising dinner. And since I had so much fun at that one, I couldn't wait to see what this night had in store.

The event was held at this old house on Pali Hwy. Apparently, the house will be demolished after the completion of this event.
The concept of the night was that there are 10 rooms to visit, each representing a different tarot card.

Before the event began, everyone had to get their tarots read, by shuffling a deck of tarot cards which determined the order in which you would visit the rooms. This way, everyone had a different and unique "journey" to follow. This pic was taken before the big rush of people arrived.
The tarot cards
This was my agenda for the night.
The show in each room lasted approximately 5 minutes and there were anywhere from 15-25 people in the room for each show, which I guess means about 200-250 people attended the event that night. I have to give credit to the Iona company because each room was very elaborately decorated and you could tell that a lot of work was put into it, from the lighting to the flooring. Wonderful!

Note: Sorry for the blurriness of the photos but I was told not to take photos with flash. Also, I did not take any photos during the performances because 1) I didn't want to distract the performers and 2) I don't want to give anything away to anyone who may want to check this show out next weekend. So most of these pics were taken right before the performances began. Prepare to be tripped out!

My night started with what was probably the weirdest room - "Wheel of Fortune"
The "Star" room
The "Strength" room. Several of us had to wear a mask and "participate" in the performance. I thought I was in a scene from Eyes Wide Shut!
"The Devil"
"The Empress" - She was hot! I remember her as the "lion" from the fundraising dinner. Evil Bunny! Set me up! LOL
"Lovers"
"Lovers" again
"The Magician" - She was cute too!
"The High Priestess"
"The World"
"Sun"
Again, I had lots of fun at this event. It was very interesting, bizarre, and enjoyable, all at the same time. It's kind of a trip to go and do things you wouldn't normally do and this is one of those types of things for me. Thanks to Evil Bunny for keeping my mind open and being able to enjoy events like this one. I'm there for the next one as well!

For those of you whose interest is piqued by these photos, I believe they've extended the show to next weekend as well. Tickets are $30 and are available at honoluluboxoffice.com. I highly recommend checking it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home